Bell box making erratic noises (possibly old battery?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Gardtec alarm system (I'm not sure of the model - it was fitted about 5 years ago by Dyno-Secure).
Last night, when the weather was very cold, the sounder outside started making short squawks at random intervals - I assume that this behaviour was due to the unusually cold temperature (-12 I think).

Resetting the alarm internally didn't make any difference.

In the morning it seemed to reset itself - my thinking is that this could be down to the temperature rising back to more normal levels.

I'm assuming that the bell box has a backup battery in it, which needs to be replaced regularly?

So - does anyone have any thoughts about what was causing this strange behaviour by the alarm? It wasn't registering any faults on the panel indoors. It started about 3am, making a noise every 15 seconds or so - the spacing of the noises was erratic though - sometimes there were 4 almost at the same time, sometimes there would be a minute without any.

If it is down to problems with the battery, is this easy to replace?

I know its not the internal battery in the main unit indoors as I replaced this earlier in the year.

Is there an easy way to prevent this happening again & irritating the entire street?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes they are an old batch and hate being cold..............seriously.
There is a fix but I would rather change it as they are getting on a little bit.
It is not an internal battery problem.

If you cannot change a sounder yourself get a local company in, but as long as it is this cold it will keep chirping.

Agreed, the sub-zero problem is evident now more than ever, and as above the problem lies with the pcb and not the battery.

Thanks for this info - It sounds like I'll need to replace it (or hope that the weather warms up).

So, from what you say, when it starts making the noises there's nothing that can be done to disable it (as its temperature related), other than smashing the thing with a hammer (which I would've done last night if it wasn't so cold & needed a step ladder).

Sponsored Links
Well there is a simple fix that would involve removing the pcb and cutting a small track, but as alarm said and i would agree, it would be better to replace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back