precast flue / metal chimney problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Got a precast flue that is no longer used. The fireplace has plasterboard over it. Not had a problem in the last 4 + years. The metal bit of the flue is right on top of the precast and goes through the roof right next to the guttering. Today found a bit of damp in the bedroom wall right at the top of the precast flue - its very distinctively the shape of the flue.

During the summer i had the guttering replaced and soffits etc pvc clad, they also put a plastic sheet in. Now worried when they've done the plastic bit with the tiles they've done something to the precast flue. Had a look in the attic and the top of the precast flue has broken cement around it. Steel bit of the chimney moves if you push it & you can get a poker down by the side of it in the gaps.

Short term can i (somehow its a very shallow roof) remove the cement and plug up the gaps with the precast flue to stop cold air getting to the warm wall?
How do i make sure the roof isn't leaking around the chimney?
I can't access the chimney from the outside as the other house is so close you can only get one arm between the two houses guttering.

Sorry for the long post.
Cheers, Mike

Sponsored Links
Mike, your problem it isn't entirely clear to me. I don't get what you mean about the shape of the stain. However, it may not be condensation, but a physical leak through the flashing. If you do not intend to reuse the flue, why not remove the loft and terminal section entirely, and retile the opening in the roof?

The stain is a very distinctive wide 'n' shape which exactly corresponds with the top of the flue location.

Spent the last 30 minutes in the attic & managed to get to the flue. The metal top of the flue that goes through the roof does not join in with the concrete top section to the flue with the round hole in it. The amount of space is so small i can just get 1 arm to the flue and can't manipulate the inner metal section into the precast concrete hole. I can wobble the metal section - although loath to do it too much in case i damage what ever seal it has with the roof.

I'd love to remove the outside metal flue section but there is litterally no room between the two houses for me to do so from a ladder. I found the only way the roofers replaced the guttering was to sit on the neighbours roof something i'm not prepared to do (no load spreading underneeth them - so i'm hoping they've not damaged that roof), especially in this weather.

Tempted to put a few sheets of plasticy foam around / between the top of the precast flue and metal flue. Not sure what that will achieve, maybe stop any leaks from the roof going down into the wall / ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Ok, Mike, i think I understand. Maybe you should try posting on the buikders forum?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back