Am I Allowed to ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just checking ...

I can work a scredriver and know the difference between the brown and blue wires. Am I allowed to connect my new 7kW electric hob to the new cooker point my electrician installed a few months back or does the legistlation demand a qualified electrician do it?

Sponsored Links
providing that you get the right sized wire to connect it with, and use earth sleeving where needed, then yes you can..
make sure you strip it right and use the strain relief clamps..

Sponsored Links
Don't forget...
switch-off-400x400.jpg

Thanks everyone.

Yes, I wasn't forgetting the earth wire, and the hob comes with the connecting cable.

Just need to dig out my tester and screwdriver and the sprouts will be cooked on the new hob!

Thanks everyone.

Yes, I wasn't forgetting the earth wire, and the hob comes with the connecting cable.

Just need to dig out my tester and screwdriver and the sprouts will be cooked on the new hob!

Not one of those screwdriver testers I hope ;)

I'm sure the electrician did the calculations for you but assuming you have a cooker switch with a combined socket then after diversity you have will 21.13 amps - so minimum size circuit cable 4mm better still 6mm and a 32Amp MCB.

Good sprout recipe:

In a mortar & pestle, bash fresh ginger, garlic, coarse sea-salt, juniper berries and Sichuan pepper to a rough paste.

Slice the peeled sprouts very thinly (1mm max) and stir fry in hot oil for 30-60s. (Depends how many you're doing vs the size of the pan, and how crisp you want them). Add the paste and continue frying, stirring well, for another 30s.

I always think sprouts are a much maligned vegetable, and I'm convinced that people who have taken against them have done so because of early formative encounters with ones which were overcooked.

Like many brassicas they contain a chemical which produces a horrible sulphurous smell and taste when cooked for too long. Overcooked sprouts, as well as being soggy, have an actively unpleasant taste. Lightly cooked and still firm they are lovely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back