Good price for staircase?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Just a quick question. I am busy getting quotes for a staircase for my loft conversion. Not easy, as had a few no shows.

Anyway, I rang a particular company who right off the bat filled me with confidence (no sarcasm). They had the pricing nailed down to a T, could give me an estimated on time required, organised a guy to come out and check my measurements (and as he lived local he will pop out during their holiday) and all seems spot on. Plus they were recommended by a shop fitter friend of mine.

The price quotes was £720 +VAT. I don't buy staircases everyday, so thought someone on here could give me their views on whether this is a good price.

Price is for a double winder staircase, soft wood stringers, MDF risers and I think it was ply treads but can't remember. newal posts 90x90. No spindles or hand rail supplied. Supply only.

I think that sounds spot on.

What do you think?

Cheers

Tatsky

Sponsored Links
Looking around £650 on screwfix, but that's an off the peg that won't fit my scenario unfortunately.

I am going to get my shop fitter mate to fit it for me. I can tackle most things, but I will leave this to someone with some experience.

Sponsored Links
We recently had a staircase made, our house is old and has low ceilings so the standard size would not fit.

We got the wood delivered from a timber yard - they made the steps to fit - unfortunately steps were MDF, they just needed the edges rounding off (it saved on cost using mdf steps)

The total cost for the wood was approx £80 - £90 that is the sides and steps.
Then we got a handrail and spindles as it's an open staircase.

The joiner made a jig himself and routed in the recesses for the steps.
I was very lucky as he was charging £60 cash in hand a day and it was 2 and a half days from start to completion.

My father in law paid close to £1000 when he had a staircase made and fitted so I think I was very lucky.

The joiner made a jig himself and routed in the recesses for the steps.
I was very lucky as he was charging £60 cash in hand a day :eek: and it was 2 and a half days from start to completion.

My father in law paid close to £1000 when he had a staircase made and fitted so I think I was very lucky.

Staircase all-in for under 300 notes!!! Got more chance of winning the lottery :eek:

Sure you`re not in Cleveland, Ohio - and quoting $ :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back