Adding wall lights

KJD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an existing centre of the room ceiling light operated by a 1 gang 1 way dimmer switch - the existing wiring in the switch is just red, black and earth. I want to add some wall lights and replace the single dimmer switch with a double dimmer - one for the centre light and one for the wall lights. Is it possible to run a 3 core lighting cable from the new wall lights directly to the switch and use a 2 gang 2 way switch with a wire connecting the common terminal of each gang to act as the power source for the wall lights? If this won\\\'t work, how do I need to wire the wall lights to use a double dimmer switch?

Sponsored Links
3 core cable? i assume you mean t+e.

The method you suggest is a shortcut. There is no neutral in that switch, so it wouldn't work either. You need a neutral from somewhere. It is probably best to break into the lighting circuit in the ceiling with a junction box.

Thanks for the advice crafty - I thought that someone would probably say that. Yes, by 3 core, I did mean t+e, but could you tell me exactly what wires to run from from the ceiling light (and which terminals to use on the ceiling light) to the wall lights and the switch and the best way to use the junction box. Thanks a lot

KJD said:
Thanks for the advice crafty - I thought that someone would probably say that. Yes, by 3 core, I did mean t+e, but could you tell me exactly what wires to run from from the ceiling light (and which terminals to use on the ceiling light) to the wall lights and the switch and the best way to use the junction box. Thanks a lot

youll need to take a single brown (or red) and earth from the switch to new light. link the live coming fomr the existing T+E to the other side of the switch for the new light. take a single blue (or black) an earth from the new light to the ceiling rose

Sponsored Links
KJD said:
There are diagrams of lighting circuits in the For Reference topic - you should be able to work it out from those...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back