Speedfit pipe/fittings black inside on removal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having used Speedfit for much of my lower floor central heating, and been very pleased with the speed and ease of installation, I'm confused having opened up some of the fitting last night to add a new rad.

Within the room that I took apart so as to add the new rad, some of the speedfit inserts were blackened, I pulled a piece of tissue through the center of a removed insert and a solidly black coloured residue was left on the tissue. It wasn't clumpy, just seemed to be powdery?

I'm wondering what this is as I haven't seen it elsewhere within the house - is it possibly dirt within the system?

For information, I haven't put an inhibitor into the system yet as I have had to drain/refill a fair bit this past year due to renovating the entire house - would this be my best course of action to avoid this dirt/corrosion buildup?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like oxide sludge, result of a chemical reaction between the water and the different metals in the system. Inhibitor is the answer to prevent this.

Go for the Fernox brand mate, and inject it through a radiator valve.
Excellent product, quick and easy.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Go for the Fernox brand mate, and inject it through a radiator valve.
Excellent product, quick and easy.

Ahh ok, is there any point using a sludge remover first, flushing that and then treating with inhibitor, or just stick with a single treatment of Fernox and leave it in there?

Only speaking personally here, but I'd be inclined to inhibit the system as I go along - even though its expensive stuff.
When the job is complete I'd go for a flush and then more inhibitor. It really depends on how much of the system is new against the old!

Only speaking personally here, but I'd be inclined to inhibit the system as I go along - even though its expensive stuff.
When the job is complete I'd go for a flush and then more inhibitor. It really depends on how much of the system is new against the old!

Sounds like a good plan, it'll take me months to finish the kitchen and so worth inhibiting now ready for the next drain in 6 months!

Thanks all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back