TPR Valve/Discharge Pipe help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My TPR valve occasionaly leaks very slowly(a few drips/minute), however, this is causing water to leak through my ceiling. The discharge pipe isn't emptying, causing water to overflow through the plastic viewing/inspection part.

Using some thin tubing, I've found that the discharge tube only holds about 1 pint of water, and is only about 1 metre long.

Is it normal for the discharge pipe to be terminated, rather than exhausting at an external point of the property? If so, what's the purpose of the discharge pipe, if it causes flooding with such a small flow rate of water?

I suspect I need to change the TPR valve. The hot water temperature thermostat is working ok, and isn't hot enough to burn my hands, and I imagine that if the pressure was too high, it would open the valve more than just to give the slight dripping?

The property is only 8 years old.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ta.

Sponsored Links
I assume you are referring to the tundish and discharge pipe.That pipe should be open and terminate to dispose of the potentially hot water safely and is usually copper pipe to outside the property.Changing components on unvented is not recommended for DIY.Slight dripping while the cylinder is heating is normal.

I assume you are referring to the tundish and discharge pipe.That pipe should be open and terminate to dispose of the potentially hot water safely and is usually copper pipe to outside the property.Changing components on unvented is not recommended for DIY.Slight dripping while the cylinder is heating is normal.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the water is leaking from the tundish(I'm glad I know what's it's called now)

Have you ever experienced a blocked/terminated discharge pipe? I think the diameter is 22mm. When I use some 5mm plastic tubing I can only insert about a metre into the discharge pipe. I can't see a discharge pipe anywhere on the outside of the house, so I presume it's blanked off, or is blocked and discharges somewhere else?

Its purpose is to get rid of water in a safe manner and absolutely should not be sealed.Maybe blocked with debris of some kind.However it should be investigated.

Sponsored Links
The only picture I could post is of a vertical pipe, entering from below next to the hot water tank, which is overflowing with water occasionally at the tundish. The problem I have is trying to find where the discharge pipe goes. Without knocking walls down, I'm struggling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back