Viessmann 100 F4 Fault - Frozen COndensate Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is more for info in case anyone else has the same fault reading over the festive period.

I had an F4 fault this morning on a recently installed Viessmann 100 combi boiler. I contacted the installer, who correctly predicted that it would be a frozen condensate pipe rather than a fault with the boiler. I did google Viessmann F4 fault and feared the worst, ignition fault and possibly no heating for days!

I turned the boiler off, disconnected the white pipe from the bottom of the boiler and poured some hot water in to unfreeze the pipe, then turned the boiler back on.

Not sure if I'm allowed to name the installer in Aberdeen, so I won't in case it breaks forum rules, but they replied within minutes, great service.

Sponsored Links
I dont see why not!

There are TWO good things they did! They answered unlike some but mostly they told YOU what to do!

Many would have come out and charged you!

Tony

Ok,

Installer was Aberdeen Heating, I emailed this morning at 7.30am and got a reply at 7.45am telling me to check the condensate pipe.

Good service and avoided any call outs and fixed the problem.

If he had installed the condensate pipe correctly in the first place, it would not have frozen up in the first place!
Condensate pipes that are run outside should be lagged or better still, the pipe size should be increased to avoid this happening.

Sponsored Links
Condensate pipes that are run outside should be lagged or better still, the pipe size should be increased to avoid this happening.
Lagging does not prevent heat loss in the condensate, it only delays it so freezing may not happen before the temperature rises above freezing.

If he had installed the condensate pipe correctly in the first place, it would not have frozen up in the first place!

Agreed, in fact the pipe size should be increased to 32mm before it exits the house. Taking it outside in 21mm is not acceptable nowadays.
However installs before the big freeze when it happened to everyone would not necessary be up to date.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back