Sime Boiler Problem - keeps turning off!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

1st post so bare with me...

I have just moved house and have a Sime Boiler. Not sure of the type as there are no other markings on the outside. Anyway...

The boiler seems to work fine for a while delivering hot water and heating but everynow and then and for no reason it stops working.

There is a little red button on the underneath of the boiler that when pressed turns the boiler back on again. Its almost like a re-set button.

Any Ideas what it could be? Water pressure is ok, and other than that I cant see any other problems with the boiler.

Cheers
Peter

Sponsored Links
Could just have a bit of trubble lighting itself, so needs a service. When the reset button comes out, is the boiler overheated? I guess you're never there- if so they make boling noises you might have heard though.

No the problem is the boiler is in the garage so no i never hear it.

What is involved in a service? Is it something I need a proffessional to do or is a DIY service possible?

Cheers
Peter

Sponsored Links
Intermittent faults are difficult to diagnose.
DIY gas boiler services are not possible!

ChrisR said:
Intermittent faults are difficult to diagnose.
DIY gas boiler services are not possible!

What does a boiler service consist of? And what ballpark figure should i expect to pay (so i dont get ripped of!)?

Cheers
Peter

Service - depends on boiler. Q has been answered at length before. You need to do stuff you won't have kit for.

£ depends what they do. Everyone seems to think they can call for a Service when their boiler is faulty!
£40 up.

ChrisR said:
Service - depends on boiler. Q has been answered at length before. You need to do stuff you won't have kit for.

£ depends what they do. Everyone seems to think they can call for a Service when their boiler is faulty!
£40 up.

Well i'm only going to call for a service as that is what has been suggested.

But anyway, cheers for the information i'll try turning the temp guages down a bit as well see if that helps things.

The last thing I want after only moving into the house 2 weeks ago is to fork out for a new boiler!

Cheers
Peter

The button that has to be reset is the overheat stat.
The usual cause of overhwating is poor circulation in the hot water mode.
Pump sticking, partial blockage, overgassed.
The most probable cause is partial blockage.
after isolating and draining the boiler, remove the pipe that connects the heat exchanger to the divereter valve, remove the auto air vent, anduse athin screwdriver to break up any debris stuck in the copper can that the AAV is screwed into, keep rinsing, ensure that you clear both sides of the can as it has a plate down the centre.

could be the over heat stat, and then once reset it will fire ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back