Greenstar Ri stopped working. Help pleas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a disabled lady pensioner, and when I got up this morning my central heating had not come on. On checking the boiler I see that the Burner/Indicator (Green) light was not comming on. I have turned the boiler off and left it for 10 mins. and on switching it on again, I still have the same problem. I found that when I turn the Central Heating control knob to MAX it will try to come on, but swiftly goes off again - as if it's trying to light the gas but failing.
Can someone please advise me on what to do?
Thank you for reading my problem even if you can't help. :cry:

Sponsored Links
You might have a frozen condensate pipe, does the boiler make any unusual noises as it tries to light? eg. gurgling, whooshing or trumpetting.

Hi Mick, thanks for your quick response. Yes it does make gurgling noises, as if the electric part of the boiler is trying to boil the water up!!!!

Cerainly sounds like a frozen condensate pipe.

If your boiler is on the ground floor...

Sponsored Links
I wanted the new boiler put in the kitchen, but my husband insisted that it should be put upstairs in the airing cupboard. I watched the British Gas video and they mentioned a trace heating element for condensing boiler. I’ve Googled this, but can’t find any other information about it, only that British Gas installs them. I’m not sure what to do now, as if I call out an engineer it will cost, and it might only be a simple thing that I could do myself???
I did find this amusing post on another website stating that if you are not on the ground floor, then get up on the roof and 'pee' on the pipe!!! Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to try this suggestion!!!
:oops:

Thank you all for your helpful replies. My son has just called, and when he went up the ladder he took the pipe out of the downpipe - where the plumber had put it to run to the drain - and found that the pipe hadn't been cut, and was up against the down pipe. Now that my son has cut the pipe to the right size and found that it was clear, my heating is working perfectly. I've spent most of the day with a hairdryer trying to deforst a pipe that wasn't frozen in my airing cupboard. I have put the temperature to the Max on my bioler now thought.

then get up on the roof and 'pee' on the pipe!!! Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to try this suggestion!!!
if you have trouble peeing you should seek help from a doctor, not a bunch of heating engineers and plumbers. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back