Bathroom Light Pull Cord Switch Wiring Problem ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pull cord switch in the Bathroom was broken - :cry:

So I brought a new one and took the old one out. To my surprise I found more cables than I thought -

I have three grey cables coming down from the void above -

1) has a Black, Red and Earth
2) has Black, Red and Earth
3) has Blue, Brown and Earth

The old unit was wired with the three earths together, both reds into the same, both blacks into a block (can't remeber where the brown and blue went)

On the new unit I have L1 & C and Earth ?

Any ideas on which should be wired to which ?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Reds -> C

Brown -> L1

Blue -> Blacks

All earths together

Thats asuming the the brown/blue cable is going to the light fitting, look in the light fitting first to see if it is the brown/blue.

Thanks for the help - The Light fitting is Black and Red?

I think the Blue and Brown has been added and supplies an added socket that has been installed at a later date -

Hence the confusion - I was informed that it went to the fan but there is no fan! - So I am positive that it feeds the added socket.

Does this change the wiring ?

Yes it dose, you say an added socket, not too sure what you mean by this, is it an aditional light fitting?? ie two lights running off one switch?

Sponsored Links
"Added socket"?

Perhaps you mean an added shaver socket? In which case the two red cores are unlikely to share the same terminal. It's more likely that the brown would share the red (live) on the common terminal with the other red (S/L) going to L1.

A bit of a wind-up artiste, aren't you?

Lucia.

Firstly thanks for all the help -

The "Blue\Brown" was feeding the socket that had been added in the bedroom next to the bathroom.

So I have wired it and everything is working. The problem is that the socket only works when the light is on in the Bathroom -

I am confident that I either need to swap the two red wires over or move the Brown from "C" to "L1".

So my Question is which one to swap ?

The "Blue\Brown" was feeding the socket that had been added in the bedroom next to the bathroom.

So I have wired it and everything is working. The problem is that the socket only works when the light is on in the Bathroom -

I am confident that I either need to swap the two red wires over or move the Brown from "C" to "L1".

Thats not the question - the question is why have you got a 13Amp socket working off a 5/6Amp lighting circuit?

Thats not the question - the question is why have you got a 13Amp socket working off a 5/6Amp lighting circuit?

Where does it say that the bedroom socket is a 13 amp socket? It may be a shaver socket or a 5 amp socket.

You need the red that goes to the light in L1.
And the brown and the remaining red in COM.

If that is a 13 amp socket you may like to think about disconnecting it and re-feeding it from a socket circuit, with the correct size cable and in accordance to all wiring requirements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back