Yale Premium Alarm Kit

Where do "pro" systems cost thousands?

Sorry I think you've mistaken me for a knowledgeable regular fitter of Yale products? Well, I'm not a fitter and as you have just pointed out I know very little about alarms!

In my area the prices aren't so reasonable for some reason (or maybe they are reasonable but my expectations aren't right?). We had four quotes for our four bedroom semi-detached house ranging from £1000-£1400. Yes those quotes were free but kind of pointless because they were well above what we hoped to pay. It would be a worthwhile investment if you're out at work all day every day but I work from home, so I am here most of the time and when I am out there's usually someone else home.

The reason we wanted an alarm was for the rare occasions when no one is here but I really can't justify well over a grand, so the Yale (with all its shortcomings) is actually a much more appealing option in our case. So that's my point really, surely a Yale alarm is better than no alarm at all? And from reading others experiences they say its pretty good for the money. If one of the quotes had been £500-£600 I may have gone for that, but at double that price, no thanks.

The other point I'd like to make is that even the best alarms don't necessarily stop burglars completely anyway do they? I know that the police don't tend to take any of them very seriously because of the amount of false alarms, so regardless of the unit's brand, is it really going to result in a high speed police car racing to your house? Or a neighbour actually taking notice of a siren? I'm genuinely not sure, so feel free to correct me (again) if I'm wrong! So basically my feeling is that the point of an alarm is to act as a simple deterrent, in that the burglar will see it and think "ah... ill try one of these houses without an alarm"? rather than make a property completely secure? Or perhaps he will see that its a Yale and know exactly how to bypass it, in the same way if they see its an ADT they'll just snip the phone wire (if they still work like that)?

Its hard to say, as I say, I don't know a lot about alarms, I just know the Yale ticks my boxes, and doesn't seem to be cheap tat really, it seems to be a well thought out product.

Sponsored Links
Without seeing your property It would be hard to see if your being overcharged. Also what was priced for? Redcare, Dualcom, a Digi?
See my point.
However a bells only would I have thought been in the region of £700.

As for Yale, not the later but earlier ones all you need is a fob and to spend 5 mins in range, you`ll soon get the dip switch setting right, then it will tell you its disarmed.

Now this isn't personal but, your not willing to spend a thousand quid on protecting probably hundreds of thousands, being your property and contents.

I`ll wager you did not even change the locks when you moved in?
How many others have keys do you think?
Security isn't about a box on the wall, its about caring for you and your own.
Got a garden shed? Bet all the tools I need to break in are there waiting for me.

Sorry about the assumption previously, your educated post had me thinking you were experienced.

As for Yale, not the later but earlier ones all you need is a fob and to spend 5 mins in range, you`ll soon get the dip switch setting right, then it will tell you its disarmed.
Hardly a fair point if the stuff on the market doesn't work that way, and his system is panel not keyfob operated. AFAIK neither the current 6000 range, nor the previous 3000, worked like that. You have to learn in the devices which appear to send a unique code before they are recognised.

I will not comment much on your sweeping assumption that he has not carried out the usual sensible security precautions.

Some does, hence the heads up.

As for other security issues, it is prudent to mention is it not.
Just in case the "tools" bill the breakin merchant needs are to hand.

Bet your checking now.

Also if your not willing to comment, do just that.

Sponsored Links

So the newer ones (HSA6400) will be okay though? I'm genuinely interested, since they need pairing up does that mean they're much more secure? And they appear not to be vulnerable to jamming in the same way that other units are from what I have read, but if I am wrong please correct me.

Now this isn't personal but, your not willing to spend a thousand quid on protecting probably hundreds of thousands, being your property and contents.

Yes, that's true I am not willing to spend over a grand, because there's almost always someone here (family of four). If I was at work every day away from home I would agree spending more is more worthwhile. I'd say the property is unoccupied maybe a total of a few days maybe one week each year.

Regardless of that, if you said to me that an alarm could be fitted that would guarantee no burglar could rob us I think that's much more attractive. But in my heart of hearts I think even an amazing alarm would surely have its vulnerabilities which a knowledgeable crook could get around? So surely throwing money at the problem whilst increasing the chances of stopping someone isn't guaranteeing anything. So the Yale to me looks like a good compromise for those wanting at least some protection.

I`ll wager you did not even change the locks when you moved in?

We moved in 25 years ago, but front and back doors have been changed since then, and new windows etc. But good point and something well worth bearing in mind next time we move.

I know your comments aren't directly personal, but I do get the impression you feel people looking at the Yale's are cheapskates, and the Yale is "worthless tat". However, surely its a good system for those looking to get some level of protection without paying around a grand? It seems to have good anti-tampering features, easy to install without wires, a siren and dialler (most of the quotes I got were for one or the other rather than both!) Admittedly it could have the ability to accept a sim card if the phone line is pulled, and there could be a little more sophistication, but I genuinely feel it fills a gap in the market for people who want a alarm they can install themselves that offers a reasonable deterrent.

Glad you replied.
Of course no one can say an alarm will stop an attempted break in.
It is a deterrent, the better ones being more so.
Hand on heart I could disable the cheap "tat" in seconds. As any pro could.
The trick is to get the intrusion detected and announced ASAP.

Again I cannot stress how much physical security is, either good locks or barriers. It all depends on the risk assesment.

I have to agree some cannot afford a professional system, however there are better options for the money.

I made my first alarm from a box of bits my father gave me, I would not rely on it though. ( being 9 and not knowing about tamper circuits).

Same as a low end pro kit or high end Yale, not trustworty enough for my needs. As you say, this can be acceptable for some. All we can do here is give good advice. Nothing more or less.

Again I respect your reply. It shows people do actually care.

There is far too much information on here for the simplest of burglars.

Any box on a wall, stickered up, looking clean, empty, no guts, looks better than nothing.

I think the op is flapping too much unless your a well known, money carrying person, which i doubt.

Just fit your wireless, and annoy the neighbours, the police, your alarm provider, :LOL: , I paid £80, in 1994, for my wired alarm, very simple if you do a bit of research. ;)

Questions were asked, answers given.
Average knob wont have a clue. The ones that might will have equipment to try and bypass an alarm.
Hence the Grading and Risk Assesment undertaken by decent companies.

As your so clever, my clever system that phones me, emails me, turns lights on and off, and a multitude of other things cost me nothing.

Bit of simple research too :D

Not sure I get your hint there.

Knob`s can pull info off the net all the time.
Yale manuals are free for all.
Pro kit isnt even sent with a manual.

:D

There is far too much information on here for the simplest of burglars.

Any box on a wall, stickered up, looking clean, empty, no guts, looks better than nothing.

I think the op is flapping too much unless your a well known, money carrying person, which i doubt.

Just fit your wireless, and annoy the neighbours, the police, your alarm provider, :LOL: , I paid £80, in 1994, for my wired alarm, very simple if you do a bit of research. ;)

I really dont understand the purpose of your reply.

I'm not 'flapping' i'm simply asking advice from professionals and from people who have experience of fitting the Yale alarm.

If you really want a Yale system, try this instead.

http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1015

Similar price and a graded product.

http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2202
The big daddy of the above, IP (internet Signaling, home automation)
Call for a price.
The kit is good as is the company ( Well I would say that a m8 ownes it).

So for a comparable cost you can get a graded system. If in the future you could have it connected to ARC (Alarm Recieving Centre) for police responce. Just keep all reciepts so a take over company can prove provenance. ( Sounds silly but its needed).
Also you can add smoke detectors and lots of other goodies.

Oh and it talks to you, no need to guess what the prompts mean.

thanks for the reply. I fitted my Yale kit yesterday. So far im very happy with it. Did catch me out as i didnt set all the sensors up so when i armed the alarm then entred the house the alrm sounded instantly!

yg3 - whats the best setting to have for when were all out ie, normal and for when were in bed so i can disarm upstairs.

Fair enough with your choice.
Full set should arm everything instantly.
A night/part set will exclude certain sensors.
Maybe even start a entry timer as you come down the stairs.
I would suggest the responce is instant on part set too.

YG3 will know more as I do not use this kit.

Glad you replied.

Hand on heart I could disable the cheap "tat" in seconds. As any pro could.
The trick is to get the intrusion detected and announced ASAP.

As you could disable a Yale so could I disable a professional install wired or wireless , landline or dualcom.

Given the ability to use specific tools.

However given that say we both were opportunist thieves with perhaps a screwdriver or a pair of grips you would no more be able to prevent a properly designed Yale activating than a G4 system.

As for ASAP what makes you think the Yale doesn't respond?

You can set even the basic 6200 system to activate instantly without a delay. The 6400 has an entry time programmable from only 10 seconds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back