Yale Premium Alarm Kit

Fine go on about whatever mission immpossible alarm you want and at the end of the day no matter how slick you think it works if the external alarm sounds it will only make a difference if your neighbours are good and they respond and don't ignore it.

I agree completely with this statement. Not being associated at all with any alarm company or installation firm, an alarm, even the most sophisticated, can only be effective if it is responded to by someone.

If you reduce the argument to an even more basic level, the fundamental reason for having an alarm is to deter. It doesn't matter if you've spent thousands on an all singing, all dancing system, if it goes off because someone is trying to break in, then it has failed.

I installed a Yale system because, yes, it was cheap and OK, it's basic, but if it causes a burglar to hesitate and move on, then it has worked. Of course, it's very difficlut to prove a negative in that your property has not been broken into because you have an alarm fitted.

At the end of the day, a burglar can steal from any property , alarm or no alarm, and in any case, surely an alarm system is only part of a package in making a property secure, along with decent window and door locks and security lighting.

Sponsored Links
I agree to a point on your statement.
A decent "kit" will always out perform cheap "kit".

I have said before Yale has its place. Just not in my world.
We are all entitled to an opinion, which some seem to miss.

Also your advice on good locks and physical secutiy is spot on.
Lights, maybe not, give the intruder a better view of things.

Better advice, cut down the bushes/shrubs that conceal your property from the road.

Lock up garden tools, they can and are used to facilitate an enrty.

I installed the Yale 6400 today, everything seems fine, although I have noticed that the backlight on the display appears to be on permanently. I wanted to ask Yaleguy if there's any way to change this setting so its off? Seems to be a bit of a waste energy wise if its on all day and night? Although I guess it makes sense if you come in when its dark and have to punch the code in...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info YaleGuy, shame that's not an option, but its not a big deal.

Another question for you - I set my PIRs to "Entry" but this still triggers them when the system is Home Armed. I then changed the PIRs to "Home Omit" which stopped them picking up movement in Home Armed mode, but if the system was Away Armed it meant the alarm went off straight away when the PIRs picked up any movement (so I didnt have time to disable the alarm as the PIRs can see me when I come in.)

Finally I changed the PIRs to Away Entry and it seems to have fixed the issue. When the system is Away Armed and I enter the countdown pips start and I have time to disable the alarm. When the system is Home Armed the PIRs appear to be disabled, which is great.

So I just wanted to confirm is Away Entry still a secure setting to use or am I compromising on anything by using it? We only have two door contacts and two PIRs so I dont want to compromise on security by having them set to Away Entry if its a bit less robust than "Entry" for any reason.

Apologies for the complexity of this question! Thanks so much for your advice so far! :)

why aren't you using a door sensor on your entry door?

Hi, there is a door sensor on the entry door, but there is also a PIR in the same area in the hallway (not pointing at the door obviously). The door sensor is set to "Entry" but I was just wondering what setting the PIR should be set to in order for it to not make the alarm go off straight away when it senses movement when I come into the house.

I want it to be active when the alarm is away armed, but not active when it is home armed. Hope that makes sense!

If the door is Entry, and the PIR is home omit, then (as long as the door sensor is working) it will start countdown when the door opens, and you then have your 30secs or whatever to unset it.

I set mine like that. Try yours with a 30 sec entry delay and audible countdown on entry and see if that does the trick. The PIR should not be set as Entry.

If the door is Entry, and the PIR is home omit, then (as long as the door sensor is working) it will start countdown when the door opens, and you then have your 30secs or whatever to unset it.

I set mine like that. Try yours with a 30 sec entry delay and audible countdown on entry and see if that does the trick. The PIR should not be set as Entry.

Thanks John that makes a lot of sense, I have just tried it and you're right. I should have tested it by using the door sensor first. Many thanks :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back