hotpoint wd420 EMERGENCY!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody help???
My washer/ dryer stopped working, all of a sudden none of the switches or lights come on.
The last wash load, was taking hours to end, so I just switched the machine off and tried to put it back on the day after, but all seems dead! None of the lights come on, They flashed for a split second, when i touched the dryer knob, but nothing changed. Is it repairable or should i just throw it out??HELP I have a 10months baby, i do at least 2 washes a day!!!

Sponsored Links
Washer dryers are complex beasts & faults can be difficult to track down. If your last load kept washing into infinity it could point to a heating issue. However since the machine is now completely dead it sounds like you may have an even more serious problem. Failing a bad connection at the plug end, blown fuse, dud socket, or defective door switch then you may be looking at a faulty pcb at worst...or something like a blown mains suppressor at best. If you don't have the time or skills to fault-find further then your best bet may be to call qualified assistance or contact Hotpoint direct http://www.hotpointservice.co.uk/hs/pages/content.do?keys=FAQ:SIY_WMDEAD Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

Washer dryers are complex beasts & faults can be difficult to track down. If your last load kept washing into infinity it could point to a heating issue. However since the machine is now completely dead it sounds like you may have an even more serious problem. Failing a bad connection at the plug end, blown fuse, dud socket, or defective door switch then you may be looking at a faulty pcb at worst...or something like a blown mains suppressor at best. If you don't have the time or skills to fault-find further then your best bet may be to call qualified assistance or contact Hotpoint direct http://www.hotpointservice.co.uk/hs/pages/content.do?keys=FAQ:SIY_WMDEAD Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

Thank you!! I have tried changing the fuse inside the plug and the lights came on for a second and off again. I then tried the same fuse on a different appliance and it worked perfectly. I think it must be the power suplly but im not too sure what to do next....anymore suggestions? wouldn't want to call hotpoint and give them 80 pounds to change a socket! :) thank you for your help!

I don't think the wall socket is causing your problem but if you try the washer in another outlet (use an extension cable if necessary) that will answer your question. Or you could try another appliance in the socket the washer uses to confirm you have voltage present. Really without a multimeter & doing some basic tests I am afraid it is all just speculation. I suspect your pcb or panel card may be history & with a dead display it is impossible to read any error codes. You would have to use a multimeter to follow the voltage, measuring at various points all the way to the pcb. However this would involve working on a live appliance. If you have no experience of doing something like this (or have a competent person to help you) then it is better to leave well alone rather than risk the alternative. Electricity can kill :eek: Nobody wants to see you get injured (or worse) so please reconsider a DIY repair.

Sponsored Links
With your problem it would be time to start checking the wiring loom and PCB's for power failure or power supply faults.

Unless you know what you are doing and are fairly competent to start dismantling parts of the machine then with possible PCB fault it is generally cheaper and easier to call in Hotpoint for their fixed price repair :(.

£109 for hotpoint all in

Do it yoursen
new PCB around £90 + card reader around £100 + programme card (single use) £13

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back