Worcester danesmoor boiler problem

cf1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have a very old worcester boiler with an Electro Oil Inter 2011B pressure jet burner. The burner failed to start on Boxing day when it was very cold. I found that the fan was not rotating, but turning it by hand eventually got it sufficiently free for the motor to turn it. The boiler then started, but I had to repeat the process the next day although the weather was warmer. The burner has been a bit noisy for some months, my first question is: is the problem most likely the motor bearings, or is it the oil pump (Danfoss MS11L3) fitted to the other end of the motor shaft?
My second question is that some people inform me that this oil pump has been superceded by the Danfoss BFP21L3. Are these two pumps identical?
My third question relates to fitting a new pump. The required pressure is 130 psi. Can this be pre-set at the factory or is it necessary to set up the pressure at home?
I apologise for so many questions, but I am not a plumber and I need the boiler to be working especially if we have any more cold weather.

Sponsored Links
I think that its a good idea to get the burner onto the bench and split the motor from the fan and pump.
The motor should be very easy to turn and if you couple a 250v supply to it, the thing should start spinning every time, up to 3000 RPM.
You should be able to spin the oil pump by hand, (with resistance) and yours will probably have tight spots.
If I remember, the only difference between the 2 pumps is the mounting to the burner and I think a kit is included....maybe someone else knows better.
The new pump will probably be set to around 10 bar, so a pressure gauge is needed to set it.
Also carefully check the driving dog(s) that couple the motor to the fan and pump - thin plastic splines easily strip.
John :)

• Thanks
Reactions: cf1
The reason for the fan not turning on its own is because you need to fit a new capacitor on the motor, having said that the noise is probably due to the motor bearing worn so I would advise you to fit a new motor.

If the burner starts OK when you get it started it is unlikely that th oil pump is at fault. Yes the pumps are the same and they usually come set with the oil pressure set at about 130 psi.

BFP's are set at 150PSI you MUST acurately set the pressure or severe SOOTING UP will resultin about 3-4 days!! Very messy p.s. the MS11 was the best pump that Danfoss ever made it had a hydralic bypass system which meant you did not have to worry about wheter or not to fit the by-pass screw! ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi Boilerman2, with the greatest respect to you it seems that you have been mis informed regarding the MS11. They, like all other Danfoss pumps do have a hydrualic by pass but they still have to be changed to a one or two pipe system by use of a screw. The only difference is that the MS11 screw is inside the cover whereas the BFP is eccessable from the outer casing.

Regards
spraggo

Hi Boilerman2, with the greatest respect to you it seems that you have been mis informed regarding the MS11. They, like all other Danfoss pumps do have a hydrualic by pass but they still have to be changed to a one or two pipe system by use of a screw. The only difference is that the MS11 screw is inside the cover whereas the BFP is eccessable from the outer casing.

Regards
spraggo
The MS11 has hydraulic bypass and no screw. The BFP 11 has ascrew under the cover.
(with the greatest respect)

That cool Spraggo! after all the MS11 was a long time ago I would wager that only about 50% of oil engineers will ever have fitted one! ;)

Deepest respect! :cool:
Did you cut your teeth on the Nu Way ZL2 then?
John :)[/quote]

Nu ways, Perkins, Selectos D range and SG range, Don Burners, Wilson Wallflame Beeston Bisley. Potterton Diplomat and Ideal Concorde Gas, Worcster Hoppamat gravity fed solid fuel to name just a few. Those were the good old days when you had a choice of 28sec or 35sec oil and adjusted the oil pressure to suite. If I remember correctly for 28sec the norm was 80psi and for 35sec 100psi.

Was at a ZL2 on 35 sec yesterday. Old farmer using tractor fuel. Old BOA that only needed 1 kilo of fire cement.

I can never get these old sods to work well. Unless the flue is perfect and dead short, the lack of a few seconds purge always screws me up :eek:
Still get the bits though.
John :)

Was at a ZL2 on 35 sec yesterday. Old farmer using tractor fuel. Old BOA that only needed 1 kilo of fire cement.

Bet you stunk when you got home, many`s the time I was told to take my overalls off before I got in the front gate to save getting divorce papers. ;) ;)

When you're one of a few who are prepared to take them on, it pays for the weeks off in the summer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back