Dimmer switch in France

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello out there,

I have a relatively new house in France and my lounge has a centre light which we was a leaving present in the UK.

It is a 12v fitting with 18 off 20 watt halogen bulbs and has its own transformer built in to the ceiling mount. The light is switched 2 way.

I would like to fit a dimmer - as you can immagine the light is way too bright.

Is is possible to do what I want and if it is, what type/rating of dimmer switch would I require? I prefer to use UK materials as I find the French stuff a bit Mickey Mouse.

Any help would be welcomed.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think you would need to investigate if the transformer is dimmable as not all are.

Hi

As first reply, you must find out if the transformer is a dimmable type.

If not, you can change it.

Your load is 18 lamps x 20w this is 360watts.

Your dimmer must be rated for the voltage of your lighting mains supply and
with a 500watts output.

Mike :)

If the light is simply too bright you may be better off just changing the bulbs for lower power ones. Dimming is an extremely inefficiant way to reduce the output of (already inefficiant) incandescent lighting.

Sponsored Links
check the transformer, i am guessing it is a large round tirodial transformer, this is a very heavy and round type of transformer normally secured in the base of the light fitting. It would require a dimmer capable of dimming "trailing edge." Dimmers range in size but just make sure you get a dimmer 400VA or higher. Another point to watch out for while installing the dimmer on a two way switch is to make sure that the switch is switching the dimmer as well as the lights, or the dimmer will be working constantly and will dramatically reduce the life of the dimmer.

If it is not a tirodial transformer there will be printed on the transformer a note of whether to use trailing or leading edge transformer.

Back