Two TVs no signal on one tv?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one tv in my bedroom with the outdoor ariel connect to a booster and another male to female wire going from the booster to the tv.....this works great, I have tried to connect another tv in another room by buying a cable, two way splitter to fit into the booster but have no signal in the other rooms tv? Please help

Sponsored Links
If we presume that both TVs work OK and you know how to tune in the second TV... then your problem could be the cable, the splitter or just that the 2nd TV isn't getting enough signal.

Do some basic trouble-shooting...

1) swap the TVs. Do they both work OK on the good signal cable? Do they both not work on the bad signal cable? If yes on both counts then it's a problem with the cable or the splitter.

2) what happens if you swap the outputs on the splitter? Does the problem move with the splitter socket (if so it's probably a dodgy splitter) or stay where it is?... (could be a cable issue or lower sensitivity of the 2nd TV tuner)

If your splitter looks like this

2_into_1_RF_splitter.jpg

then it's not helping your system.

The TV tuner needs a certain level of signal to work. Most decent outdoor TV aerials provide enough signal for the TV to work fine when properly installed. If you need to have a booster on yours then you're starting with a handicap. Using one of these passive splitters is going to divide the signal in half; 50% to one TV and 50% to the other. Your 1s TV might just be OK with that. The 2nd TV might not. With analogue (the old style 4 or 5 channels before Freeview) you might have got a bit of a snowy picture with less signal level. Digital is more fussy. Not enough signal = no picture at all.

Either get a new powered booster with more than one output or have the TV aerial looked at. Short term the booster is the cheaper option.

If we presume that both TVs work OK and you know how to tune in the second TV... then your problem could be the cable, the splitter or just that the 2nd TV isn't getting enough signal.

Do some basic trouble-shooting...

1) swap the TVs. Do they both work OK on the good signal cable? Do they both not work on the bad signal cable? If yes on both counts then it's a problem with the cable or the splitter.

2) what happens if you swap the outputs on the splitter? Does the problem move with the splitter socket (if so it's probably a dodgy splitter) or stay where it is?... (could be a cable issue or lower sensitivity of the 2nd TV tuner)

If your splitter looks like this

2_into_1_RF_splitter.jpg

then it's not helping your system.

The TV tuner needs a certain level of signal to work. Most decent outdoor TV aerials provide enough signal for the TV to work fine when properly installed. If you need to have a booster on yours then you're starting with a handicap. Using one of these passive splitters is going to divide the signal in half; 50% to one TV and 50% to the other. Your 1s TV might just be OK with that. The 2nd TV might not. With analogue (the old style 4 or 5 channels before Freeview) you might have got a bit of a snowy picture with less signal level. Digital is more fussy. Not enough signal = no picture at all.

Either get a new powered booster with more than one output or have the TV aerial looked at. Short term the booster is the cheaper option.

I think the problem seems to be the connection with the second tv we are trying to connect as we placed the first tv (that was working good) in the second room (that we are trying to connect to) and nothing happens, no signal shows up on tv. Sadly we do have the same splitter that you showed us, we are unsure if we were given the right cable? the cable we brought was this one
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=25917&OrderCode=TB76H

We even tried a connecter to the outdoor ariel into the cable leading to the second tv, but this did not work.

As well as getting another booster do you think we should get a UHF TV Signal Splitter?

Thank you ever so for your time

The splitter in your kit doesn't have to look identical to the one in my post. The main point is that it is passive. i.e. it just divides the signal rather than being a mains/adapter powered device that amplifies the signal before splitting it.

Did you have to put the plugs on the ends of the wire yourself with that extension kit? If so then check your plug making skills. The little fibres from the shielding mustn't touch the inner thick copper wire. Google for a How To on making up RF cables. There'll be tonnes of dull videos by chaps with monotone voices on YouTube... lol :LOL:

Next, don't waste any more cash on passive RF splitters. Just get a 2-way or 3-way amplified splitter/booster - Same sort of thing as the booster that you have now but with more aerial sockets. One socket will feed the existing TV, the other will feed the Maplin extension. Don't bother with any passive splitters.

If you aren't sure what to buy that's decent then let me know. I have some nice quality 3-way amplified splitter/boosters for less than £8 each. Postage & packing would be a couple of quid.

Sponsored Links
The splitter in your kit doesn't have to look identical to the one in my post. The main point is that it is passive. i.e. it just divides the signal rather than being a mains/adapter powered device that amplifies the signal before splitting it.

Did you have to put the plugs on the ends of the wire yourself with that extension kit? If so then check your plug making skills. The little fibres from the shielding mustn't touch the inner thick copper wire. Google for a How To on making up RF cables. There'll be tonnes of dull videos by chaps with monotone voices on YouTube... lol :LOL:

Next, don't waste any more cash on passive RF splitters. Just get a 2-way or 3-way amplified splitter/booster - Same sort of thing as the booster that you have now but with more aerial sockets. One socket will feed the existing TV, the other will feed the Maplin extension. Don't bother with any passive
splitters.

If you aren't sure what to buy that's decent then let me know. I have some nice quality 3-way amplified splitter/boosters for less than £8 each. Postage & packing would be a couple of quid.

Hi Chris,
Thank you once again for your help, we re-wired the ariel cable to the new tv as the fibers were touching the inner thick copper part, hay presto the tvs now work.

Thank you once again:)

You're welcome :)

BTW, if you find a post particularly useful then please feel free to use the Thanks button at the top right side of that post. :D

Thanks for your Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back