Mk 2 Mondeo rear brake drums

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Plea for advice!

Today I attempted to replace my rear Mondeo Mk 2 brake shoes and drums. All went well until a tried to re-fit the actual new drums. I cannot get them back on even thou I have set the brake adjusting mechanism to its lowest position. The cylinder appears to be fully depressed and looking at the strut of which the self adjusting mechanism is part of no further movement in is possible.

All seems to be in the correct position looking at the pictures I took before removal however I cannot get the drums back on and don't wont to start using brute force for fear of damaging things.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Just check -if the handbrake cable is slackened and the self adjuster quadrant or rotating post is at its minimum, either the shoes / drums may be the incorrect ones or they aren't centralised.....have you matched them with the old ones?
John :)

John,

Thanks for the swift reply. Tomorrow I will check the hand brake cable is slackened, the self adjuster is at its minimum.

I took the old shoes and drums into unipart to make sure I got the correct ones and also did a visual check before fitting and they look identical so hopefully they are the correct ones.

Sounds like you did everything right mate....always best to do one side at a time.
Post back with the result, if you will.
John :)

Sponsored Links
first thing i would do would be to measure both sets of drum, internal diameters that is.

then measure across shoe to shoe ( outside edge of both shoes ) see what the difference is between both measurements.

Back