Gray patches on bathroom ceiling

Xad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have these grayish patches on the bathroom ceiling that have been around for a while, i painted over them before but they seem to have come through again. They're about 2 feet apart if that helps. It's directly above the bath tub.

What is it? Is it mould? If so, how do i get rid of it? Painting over them didn't seem to help much.

Here's a pic:
bDLCV.jpg

Sponsored Links
I have a feeling you don't use an extractor fan during and after every bath and shower. Am I right?

Also, have a look in the loft above for any signs of water leakages (you will have to lift the insulation to look at the upper surface of the plasterboard).

I have a feeling you don't use an extractor fan during and after every bath and shower. Am I right?

Also, have a look in the loft above for any signs of water leakages (you will have to lift the insulation to look at the upper surface of the plasterboard).
Nope, there's no fan in the bathroom, so we usually open the window right after.

it is damp, most likely caused by condensation as you do not use an extractor. It will be quite wet before you get out and open the window. //www.diynot.com/wiki/building:condensation_in_houses

but check for leaks too, as I said

you can use a stain blocker or oil-based primer when redecorating, but no point until you have resolved the damp problem.

Sponsored Links
As john says an oil based undercoat or primer will make a huge difference as the mould is being fed moisture from below - interupt it's supply and it'll become inactive. Use Polycell 3 in 1 mould killer first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back