Wiring MK TV sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to run a single down coax from the loft aerial to the bedroom and living room. Can I do this using the MK TV/FM/SAT sockets? They have a 'IN' and 'OUT' connection on the back, but they 'OUT' doesn't appear to have a hole for the central conductor?

Sponsored Links
No, it doesn't work like that. You will need a proper splitter or distribution amplifier, and then two cables running from the loft to the two outlets. The 'out' connection is probably used on different style of plate that had an RF return inlet - in any case, it still won't do what you're asking.

No, it doesn't work like that. You will need a proper splitter or distribution amplifier, and then two cables running from the loft to the two outlets. The 'out' connection is probably used on different style of plate that had an RF return inlet - in any case, it still won't do what you're asking.

In that case I'm a proper twit because I have wired it through and plastered.

Could I put a splitter in the back box?

Sponsored Links
In the main the splitter and combiner boxes are the same inside and can be used either way around. But it is more normal to use a loft amplifier to combine the signals.

So basic design is three aerials all feed one box in loft then one cable (Now with sky plus often two) goes to TV point and is then split again into three.

Sky+ is a problem as it needs two feeds on same frequency. There are special boxes that change the frequency so they can be combined but in the main two cables are used.

The problem with combining the signal is often the components stop any DC from passing and this is required to power LNB's, Mast head amps, and digi-eyes so three separate cables do have an advantage.

Some loft amps have a DC output and can power LNB's and Mast head amps but you can't use digi-eyes to remotely change channels on sky box.

This is where "in" and "out" are used. The TV signal is taken to main set then through the SKY box is then returned to loft and distributed to bed rooms with the freeview and SKY signal combined. The latter is analogue.

But there are so many different systems and they keep changing I find I now need a LAN connection for TV so yet another cable I need to run. Seems never ending.

Talking c**p

What an enlightened response, so precise with your informed and valued comments.

The old saying about "if you haven't anything of interest to say, say nothing" applies.
If you would like to offer up alternatives then fine, but simply posting a remark without any qualification as to why, is very poor form.

I await your more detailed response.

Chris,

I think you may have mis-interpretted the situation, I think grizzly may have posted a response, then done some further research, realised he's got it wrong and scubbed his post out... hence the 'editted' at the bottom of his post...

Talking c**p

What an enlightened response, so precise with your informed and valued comments.

It's an edit, so presumably there was something written there, which Grizzly then realised was wrong. As you can't delete your own posts, the only option is to edit them.

In that case I'm a proper twit because I have wired it through and plastered.

Could I put a splitter in the back box?

If you can manage to fit one in, but unless it's a very deep backbox, I don't think it's going to happen. Even with something relatively compact such as this, by the time you have connectors on it, there's going to be no room to bend the cable without kinking it.

If there's no way out of your situation then I can only suggest you try and combine both cables under the same clamp. The impedance matching will be terrible and chances are that the second set will get a very poor picture, if not the first one as well. However, you might be in an unusually strong signal area and get lucky.

If there's no way out of your situation then I can only suggest you try and combine both cables under the same clamp. The impedance matching will be terrible and chances are that the second set will get a very poor picture, if not the first one as well. However, you might be in an unusually strong signal area and get lucky.

With an impedance mis-match there will be reflections of the signal from the mis-match. Not a problem with analogue as at worst it creates a ghost image slightly to the right of the real image. But with digital TV a reflected signal can confuse the decoders and create frozen pictures and /or chopped up sound. Try it but be prepared to have to cut more wall space.

It is possible to match the three cables correctly using three resistors in a star connection. It involves a loss, which is best made up by using an amplifier between antenna and top of the first cable in the loft.

Then there should be no reflections providing the socket is connected to a TV. If not then a dummy connector with a matched resistor will keep the impedance correct.

Use a dual outlet were you have the two cables - effectively an in and an out.

Then use a splitter to split the 'out', one for the TV and the other to feed the cable to the bedroom.

If you have sky you have wired it ready to allow sky TV in the bedroom :LOL:

You could also fit an RF modulator behind the TV and then watch your lounge DVD's in the bedroom....

You could also fit an RF modulator behind the TV and then watch your lounge DVD's in the bedroom....

Even with good quality screened cable between RF modulator and the bedroom TV there is a risk your neighbours could also see your DVD's on their set. An aquaintance of mine has been doing that for some years now, signal from his neighbour's RF modulator comes in on his roof top aerial. He knows exactly whose DVD player he is watching as he evesdropped on their son's wedding DVD. I do not condone it.

Use a dual outlet were you have the two cables - effectively an in and an out.

Then use a splitter to split the 'out', one for the TV and the other to feed the cable to the bedroom.

If you have sky you have wired it ready to allow sky TV in the bedroom :LOL:

That's actually a very good idea.

Chris,

I think you may have mis-interpretted the situation, I think grizzly may have posted a response, then done some further research, realised he's got it wrong and scubbed his post out... hence the 'editted' at the bottom of his post...

Exactly. I should've put "Edit: I was talking c**p" to avoid any confusion.
Apologies if people got the wrong end of the stick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back