Another jammed mortice lock!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone!

I've read a number of jammed mortice lock threads on here, and i'm interested in what you think may be my problem.. I'll explain what happenned.

First, the lock is a Legge 5 lever with curtain - not sure of any more details besides that. It came with the "Tyne Aluminium Back Door Set" from wickes - with 2 keys (not 3 keys - so i'm not sure if it's a Legge BS one or not).

It was, at this time of year, somewhat hard to lock, but was fine in the summer (i need to dremel the bit that the bolt goes in a bit i reckon). It had been getting increasingly hard to lock and open, and then since boxing day, i haven't been able to open it at all. The key will turn about 135 degrees or so, at which point there is a slight spring - though the curtain will rotate exactly the same amount, seemingly with the same spring whether there is a key in or not.

I'm hoping that it's just to do with the weather. I don't really need to open it anytime too soon, but it would be handy if i could, and if there is anything that i can try now to open it so i can get dremeling, could anyone let me know?

Thanks if anyone can help!

Sponsored Links
It may be that the door has swelled due to the weather, and the bolt is binding against the keep. Try pushing/pulling the door whilst turning the key to open the lock - it may need a little force.

Also try "wiggling" the key, as it could also be a lever thats stuck and not dropped.

Have you tried opening the door from both the inside and outside - could be a faulty key.

Failing the above, its likely to need some "persuading" to open - see if your hinge pins can be removed before any other route is discussed.

Let us know how you get on.

an aluminium door does not usually swell and shrink with the weather, but it might have dropped a bit on its hinges. Try giving the door a lift while you turn the key

if and when you get it open, look for any bright spots on the bolt or keep where it has been rubbing, and ease with a file. You might be able to adjust the hinges, post some photos.

alright! cheers for the replies!

I've tried shoving it in every angle, and jiggling the keys at the same time - this gives nothing more... :(

the keys worked fine from inside and outside before, and don't appear to be worn - i'm guessing that either:-

the levers are jammed,

or

the bolt hasn't fully come out, and so has moved back a little behind the curtain...

does what i'm describing about how far the curtain will move with or without a key in give any clue as to which, if either, of these is the case?

and what would be my best course of action in either case? I don't think i'm gonna be able to move the bolt fully out if it is the case that it didn't come fully out - like i said, it was getting pretty tight in this weather, with the wooden sub frame being affected by temperature and humidity i expect... Is it possible to give it any amount of force to push the bolt out just having access through the keyhole?

I may have to drill it i suppose.

does anyone have any more information please?? it'd be great not to have to drill it! (or to know where to drill if i need to!)

Sponsored Links
Make some timber wedges and place above and below the lock between the door and frame. Tap the wedges until there is a slightly bigger gap. Then you can use a small angle grinder with a slim disc and cut through the bolt. Then just replace the lock with no damage to the door or frame. It works as I have done it before.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back