Kitchen Drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently noticed a nasty smell in the kitchen, which resulted in me finding the drain outside full up and overflowing.

Upon emptying the drain (manually) and reaching to the bottom, I put my hand in to clear it and seemed to hit the ground (I.e. this appears to be a soak away and not a drain).

Should the kitchen waste (only and sink and dishwasher) go into a proper drain.

This is the only drain near to the kitchen which has been there since the house was built (1930 ish).

any help appreciated :confused: :)

Sponsored Links
If you'd felt up the side of the hole you'd have found the exit pipe, which will go to an inspection chamber (manhole) of some sort. There was probably a lot of gravel and absolutely foul smelling crud in the bottom? That's yer anaerobic bacteria for you ! It's a crude sort of trap, to stop the sewer smells coming back up.

They do get pretty blocked, especially if the house is pebbledashed, or there isn't a guard round the grille.

Many Thanks, I will look for an exit hole from that drain, although I could not find last night, but it was late and smelly :D

Pour a large bucket of water from as high as you can into the drain several times to shift any ....... :D

Sponsored Links
Been there done that but will try anything twice to shift the ........ smell. :evil:

Many Thanks for the advice people, I have found the exit hole to the drainage pipe.

It is clogged with cxxx.

thanks again for the assistance.

:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back