master socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a couple of weeks ago my 2 year old stood on the cable into the box and yes it pulled out a wire ,most are alright but i can't ring out it seems from my research my cable is an old one not the usual white with different coloured bands mine are solid coloures as it stands number 1 is empty no.2 is brown no.3 is brown but is broken ,4 is green and 5 is blue and there is a loose brown and not sure where it goes its driving me nuts cheers will

Sponsored Links
a couple of weeks ago my 2 year old stood on the cable into the box and yes it pulled out a wire ,most are alright but i can't ring out it seems from my research my cable is an old one not the usual white with different coloured bands mine are solid coloures as it stands number 1 is empty no.2 is brown no.3 is brown but is broken ,4 is green and 5 is blue and there is a loose brown and not sure where it goes its driving me nuts cheers will

Try http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/wiring_info.htm ;) ;)

If you are still stuck, could you put up a photo.
Is it an NTE5 type master socket (with removable front plate) or a extension style or the main incoming very old junction/ connection box?

It sounds like you have an old piece of 4w connected,
What you describe as brown is probably an orange the convention was
Orange then Blue then Green then Brown.
Orange was the A leg of the line Blue was the B leg those are the only ones that usually carry the line. The green and brown where spare.

Sponsored Links
thanks to all for the replys toady i purchased a new master socket my wiring is as follows 1 blank, 2 orange , 3 brown 4 ,green ,5 blue ,and 6 blank it was no.3 brown that was snapped i have a grey cable witch i believe is pre 1980 i have also tried wiring the socket that was sent from spraggo and it was dead so i put all the wires back everything else works fine only can't call out its costing a small fortune on mobiles ..cheers will

Photo?

Are you sure this "box" was the master socket? The master is the one that is connected directly to the incoming phone line. Can you confirm that, and indicate what the incoming wires are attached to at present.From that master, there may be connecting wires to extension sockets. Are there other sockets?

there is another incoming box upstairs im asuming it's just an extension it has the usual coloured wires with the white bands and all are intact and there is nothing plugged into it i also tried plugging directly into it to see if i could get a line .nothing !!!!

Sorry but this is not making sense.
Can we identify exactly what the box is?
Still suggest a photo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back