EXTERNAL ALARM SYSTEM & CCTV - project due to start

As for CCTV and motion detection.
I will repeat. Do NOT use the feature built into the DVR- it will be in constant trigger/alarm. It 'sees' movement - of any kind, be it people, animals and vegetation (trees/plants moving in a breeze).

This is why I suggested an infrared IP camera, the threshold can be set to ignore cat-sized blobs and react to human-sized blobs of heat.

Sponsored Links
3 Questions

1. Can the Alarm and Strobe be set to work together and timed to switch OFF and reset after - say 10 minutes. This would be to avoid nuisance to neighbours and not advertise the fact you may be away by the continuous strobe light after the siren has stopped.

2. Can I drive say four alarm boxes from the same alert, or at least the Strobes on these boxes. (Max deterrent effect for intruder and max visibility attention from neighbours)

3. Any leads please to suitable external weathproof sensibly priced PIRs. I will need about 7 or 8.

Thanks for the additional input.

Can you provide answers to the 3 questions please anyone.

As I said earlier regarding the Cams, I am trying to assess their triggering characteristics for recording, not for raising the alarm.

Both the Cams and the PIRs would be sharply focussed to the problem area.

The voice siren does seem to be an option if cost effective.

Sponsored Links
Both the Cams and the PIRs would be sharply focussed to the problem area.
You've no idea have you, I refer you to the 1st reply to this thread.

I hear what you are saying about IR beams and I can see that they will cover a large perimeter area. The idea is excellent.

The problem I have is that due to the slopes and uneveness of the site, beams won't bend to stay at a constant level above ground, hence in some places the beam will be too close to the ground (likely small animal trigger or step over by intruder) or in other places it will be too much above ground so can be ducked under. To have IR beams sufficient to deal with the different levels successfully would mean purchasing 3 times the normal quantity therefore making it rather excessive cost-wise.

Can you help with the 3 questions at all please.

The PIRs I have in mind were twin sensor and can be adjusted for sensitivity or small animal volume.

Beams would appear to be the best option. It is possible to use mirrors to turn beams round corners to reduce the number of units needed.

Beams that have been set up properly are far more reliable than PIRs

PIRs can fail to detect a slow moving target.

Turning on an inside light behind curtains can be more worrying to a potential intruder than a standard outside flood light coming on, turning two lights on with a delay between them is more worrying.

Flood lights can help the intruder.

Thanks for the info on mirrors.

The last illegal entry was in broad daylight 2.30pm, which is why I am leaning towards a siren/sound alert/alarm since lights would not be visible during daylight hours.

Can you or anyone help with advice on my 3 questions at all please.

3 Questions

1. Can the Alarm and Strobe be set to work together and timed to switch OFF and reset after - say 10 minutes. This would be to avoid nuisance to neighbours and not advertise the fact you may be away by the continuous strobe light after the siren has stopped.

YES

2. Can I drive say four alarm boxes from the same alert, or at least the Strobes on these boxes. (Max deterrent effect for intruder and max visibility attention from neighbours)

YES

3. Any leads please to suitable external weathproof sensibly priced PIRs. I will need about 7 or 8.

No idea, alarms are my thing, not cctv

3 Questions

YES

YES

No idea, alarms are my thing, not cctv

Thanks for confirming these points Europlex.

Can you give details on the wiring and setup to achieve this please. If it helps, quote a specific brand or make.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back