Bathwater coming out of under sink vent!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am having a bit of a nightmare with my plumbing!! I got out of th eBath about 30 mins ago went downstairs to the kitchen and found the kitchen floor a wash with bath water. I have managed to mop it up,,,it didnt look too bad but is stinky under the sink. The water is coming up through a vent under the sink, this vent has never leaked water before (I think). I realise that this vent should go up through the roof and/or should have a valve on top.
Is this a blockeage in the sink line or is it a worse problem in the foul pipe or sewer,,,,,how do I fix this,,,,,the toilet is flushing ok so far??

I have no money to pay a plumber so this has to be DIY,,,,,there are no rodding points in the house, the manhole is not easily accessible either.
Many thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying,,,I shall take a few picture tommorow morning and go from there.

Steve

you very probably have a blockage in the soil pipe below the level where the sink joins it. Do you have anyone in the house who puts toys, nappies, sanitary towels down the toilet, or turkey fat down the sink?

look for an inspection cover outside, and look under it

avoid using the bathroom, sink, and especially the toilet on that side of the house. If you are lucky there will be another working drain on the other side.

Sponsored Links
I think a fair bit of turkey fat went down over the hols,,,,and pork fat!! Against my wishes!!

Plus I have a 14 year old lad who is taller than me and a 5 year old young lady,,,all of whom put everything down the loo!!

I guess you are right,,,, There is only one foul drain out of the house. the svp comes down through the lounge and out the front to a manhole,,,,,which then connects down to the neighbours,,,which historically is the one that blocks.

The kitchen is to the back of the house, so the blockeage must be between the svp and the manhole,,,,,which leads me to the unpleasant conclusion that i had foul water all over my kitchen floor!!!!! yuck!

However it only smells under the sink,,,ill give it a thorough clean tommorow!!

The problem is that there is no access at all from the sink to the svp,,,,only to the manhole outside,,,,,,crap 70's build!

Many thanks for your reply....

steve

There is a special hell reserved for those who pour fat down the sink.

Unfortunately, it's a hell that you're probably going to get familiar with, and not the pourer.

make her clean out the drain herself. That'll cure her.

p.s.
Print this out and make her read it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back