replacing a MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst ironing the iron suddenly went off - I thought the MCB in our fusebox had tripped. But when I checked it, it hadn't tripped, but was crackling and there were small intermittent small sparks i could see within it. There was also a smell of ozone in the basement where the fusebox is situated. Can/should I replace this MCB myself, or should I call in a professional?

It's a 30amp MCB on a circuit supplying approx ten 13 amp sockets (plus some sockets on extension leads) in upstairs bedrooms. We have occasionally noticed some flickering on bedside lights plugged into these sockets, but not recently.

I did manually trip the MCB myself earlier in the day, as I was turning off another circuit for other reasons - it is since reseting it that I have noticed it sparking and the smell of ozone. The circuit is currently switched off, but we could do with the sockets back in use.

Sponsored Links
Whilst ironing the iron suddenly went off - I thought the MCB in our fusebox had tripped. But when I checked it, it hadn't tripped, but was crackling and there were small intermittent small sparks i could see within it. There was also a smell of ozone in the basement where the fusebox is situated. Can/should I replace this MCB myself, or should I call in a professional?

It's a 30amp MCB on a circuit supplying approx ten 13 amp sockets (plus some sockets on extension leads) in upstairs bedrooms. We have occasionally noticed some flickering on bedside lights plugged into these sockets, but not recently.

I did manually trip the MCB myself earlier in the day, as I was turning off another circuit for other reasons - it is since reseting it that I have noticed it sparking and the smell of ozone. The circuit is currently switched off, but we could do with the sockets back in use.

Call in an electrician. The fault might not be with the MCB, it may lie on the circuit, unless you fully understand the implications of working on a supply busbar that only has a fuse protection WELL above that tolerable by the human body.

Oh, I wouldnt be tempted to try and turn on the MCB if its been arcing again either.

what work was being done to the curcuit that you needed to turn it off before?

Sponsored Links
It may be the connection with the busbar, not the MCB. But its an electrician's job, not really a DIY one.

What make is the fuseboard/MCB by the way. Any chance of a picture. We like pictures..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back