Sliding internal door - recess less than door width

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning the 'revamp' of our living room room and dining room, and one of the things I want to do is to replace the current swing type doors with the sliding ones, as it would leave more usable space in the living room.

The door from hallway into living room. Now it opens into the living room and cuts off a corner, of the room. The door is about 70cm from the corner, so when you open it, you have the door opening where you can't put anything in front and then the space next to it, where the door opens to. We keep our doors open most of the time.

I would like to put a sliding door instead of this one, but not a pocket type, as this is a solid wall, but the one that you hand on the wall/ceiling. But I hit another problem - the door is a couple of centimetres wide than the space available for the door to slide to keep the opening clear. I have found a telescopic sliding door, by Eclisse, but this a pocket style, and the frame is way too wide for my needs and space available. The space to the corner (other wall) from the other side of the frame (including the door, if that makes sense), is about 145cm, if not a bit less, and the doors is about 75cm (sorry, not at home - don't remember exact measurements)

Has anyone see something similar to Eclisse product, but for smaller spaces? I don't want to built a false wall for this, as the space available for the sliding door (depth is not huge, and it will be next to the kitchen door as well (I would think about 15-20 cm).

Sponsored Links
The door from hallway into living room. Now it opens into the living room and cuts off a corner, of the room. The door is about 70cm from the corner, so when you open it, you have the door opening where you can't put anything in front and then the space next to it, where the door opens to. We keep our doors open most of the time.

I can't imagine that you are going to gain all that much and what you are going to do with it in any case???

If you are that bothered, shift the door closer into the corner i.e. instead of 700mm make it 150mm and gain a bit the other side. Or shove it the other way a bit as to make the 700mm more useable.

Sliding doors are horrific!

Not quite as bad as bi-fold though!!

70cm is a reasonable amount of space to put a cabinet, shelves for books, bean bag to sit on, etc.

My OH's family is from Italy, and we often visit them and the friends, and I have to say, that sliding doors are quite popular there, and they are not horrific at all. It depends how they are done. In our opinion, they are great for saving space.

Shifting the door is not really an option, as it solid wall and would require considerable amount of work.

We have bifold doors separating living and dining room, and they are marked for the skip. As soon as I get my screw driver to them and OH's car to take them to take them there.

can you rehang the door to open the other way into the other room/hallway??

Sponsored Links
Not really, as it would open onto the entrance to the kitchen.

Maybe I can find a door that opens flush to the wall, and just keep a bean bag that we were thinking to get in front of it to keep it open (as I mentioned, we don't really closed the doors...)

The light switch is right by the door, so it would have to be moved somewhere. I am not a fan of the double doors unless they are wide enough to look reasonable.

I am not making it easy for myself, am I?

if you dont have a loft conversion why not just remove the door???

I might, but it is useful sometimes in the evening when H wants to watch TV/play computer and I want to sleep upstairs (Bedroom door has to be kept open because of the cat or he would scratch through the carpet).

I think I will have to convince OH to remove it once we start the work, with the view to replace it in the future if we feel we need it there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back