Kitchen under cupboard lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 questions related to the above. 1. This is the conventional transformer with 3 x low voltage 20W halogen lights. I am going to rewire between the 3 light fittings from the transformer so I can space the lights further apart under the cupboards than the 400mm they are prewired to. Does it matter if I rewire from the transformer to light No.2 then branch off either side to light No.'s 1 and 3? Or do I have to go from 1 to 2 to 3 as they come supplied? 2. Should the cable inbetweeen the lights be covered with trunking or ar they safe just clipped under the cupboards?
Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Does it matter if I rewire from the transformer to light No.2 then branch off either side to light No.'s 1 and 3? Or do I have to go from 1 to 2 to 3 as they come supplied?
A more important question, however you do it, is "Does it matter (to you) if the lights end up being different colours and intensity to each other?"

If you change the length of cable you will change the voltage at each light.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Lighting/VoltageDrop.html

Also, you will no longer have an approved pre-assembled lighting set, and to comply with the law you should apply for Building Regulations approval before installing it.

2. Should the cable inbetweeen the lights be covered with trunking or ar they safe just clipped under the cupboards?
You don't need trunking for safety - you might like it for cosmetic reasons.

Thanks for any advice!
These are good for under-cupboard lighting:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...Index/Linkable_Flourescent_Fitting/index.html

OK, thanks for that! I intend to keep the new interlinking cables (same spec as original) all the same lengths and wont be extending them by all that much! I will also use terminal blocks/insulation tape for all connections. That said, I realise I will invalidate any guarantee but I suppose it should be safe enough if done properly?

Also, you will no longer have an approved pre-assembled lighting set, and to comply with the law you should apply for Building Regulations approval before installing it.

Don't forget this bit of advice.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back