can i wire in my cooker to wiring regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
i'm wondering if i can wire in my cooker, or do regs require a qualified spark to do it?
i'll need to take out the old switch and join the wires - i presume these will need to be crimped together with butt connectors (will they need a heat shrink too?), cover this hole with a blanking plate, take a cable to the new switch located in a unit, run a cable back to the terminal behind the cooker. i'm fairly good with electrics, but unqualified. should this be done by a qualified person for regs, much like fitting gas appliances?
reason i ask is that in my old house an unqualified builder did this and said it would be fine.
cheers,

Sponsored Links
As you are altering a circuit in a kitchen BCO will need to be informed. The easiest way to do this is to use a registered electrician.

Which regulations are you referring to?
As far as BS7671:2008 goes then if you know how to do the work safely in respect to yourself and others then you can to the work.

As to if you can do it safely is in question one would normally replace the short length of cable between the cooker connection unit and the cooker and would not consider joining it.

f however you are talking about building regulations then other than like for like in a kitchen you need to apply to LABC first and pay their fees. But again nothing to stop you doing the work however likely cheaper to get a registered electrician to do the work.

Sponsored Links
I hope you weren't thinking of tiling over the blanking plate?
No, even i know that is a no no.
As to if you can do it safely is in question one would normally replace the short length of cable between the cooker connection unit and the cooker and would not consider joining it.
No, i'm not doing that, the path would be:

consumer unit-old cooker switch(joining cable going to)-cooker connection unit in wall behind cooker- new switch in cupboard - cooker input.
the only join would be where i take out the old switch.
So in general, it would be ok to do this?

Why not rewire it properly?

And why put the switch in a cupboard? What happens if you need to get to it quickly and it's behind a wall of baked beans and pot noodles?

fair point... the consumer unit is a long way away and i don't have the skill to re route the cable or the cash to get a spark to do it. this is more of a quick fix, just want it to be safe. the switch was put in a cupboard by the previous person as the old switch is on the wall above what is a bigger cooker than before. seems to work, keeps it out of sight, but i never thought about getting to it in a hurry! i'll have to eat my stash of pot noodles now :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back