Hot water only available when central heating on - Glow worm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first post. :)

Have been searching and reading up for a while and need some advice with my problem before I go and spend lots of money on it! Any advice very much appreciated as boilers are definitely not my strong point.

Situation is that we have a Glow Worm Compact 100 boiler, installed in 2001, and has given no headaches since we moved in 2 years ago. A few days ago, I noticed that the hot water wasn't going on, i.e. the boiler would not fire. A visit from BG Homecare later, and we had a part on order (a new valve) and instructions to manually move the valve when needed(Honeywell, I think) - this gave us back hot water via the boiler.

The next day, the BG engineer installed the new valve - 'Valve Actuator Code BGMVSP-2' for the HW and left the other CH Honeywell one alone. He declared it all fixed and left. On checking it myself, the boiler did indeed now fire up and the valve moved when this happened, but the boiler would not stay lit for more than 20 secs max. The engineer had not bothered to check this it seems. Called BG and they sent the same guy the next day(today)

He looked at the pump, said it was fine. Also said there was no issue with the new valve as the boiler was firing as it should. However, he then showed me some really mucky, black water which he said was sludge in the system and was causing the boiler to cut out. After staying trying to fix the issue for at least an hour, he said that the 'guaranteed' cure would be a flush which would cost £709. (Eek!) He left me to 'think about it' and told me to use the immersion heater for hot water as there was no other alternative.

Things I've noticed since last engineer visit (apologies if over-inclusive, not sure if any of these things are relevant):

- Contrary to his advice about the boiler being unable to provide hot water, the HW works perfectly well but only when CH is on as well. Symptom of boiler firing for a short while, as described above, if no CH and only HW called for.

- Boiler pressure now 1.8 cold, over 2 when hot. Was 0.7 (recommended by manufacturer) cold before this all started. Is this too high? Probably not even relevant.

- Boiler much noisier than before - seems to be coming from the pump.

- Boiler has, on 2 occasions, stayed lit for a couple of minutes when HW on (no CH) but this is very much the exception to the rule.

- As an aside, I found that the immersion heater doesn't even work! Last used a few months ago and was fine. Just bad luck, I guess!

I've no doubt that the system could do with a good clean and would probably benefit from a flush. However, I can't help feel that the BG engineer has been a little vague and contradictory in his advice and I certainly haven't had much confidence in his work thus far. I'm therefore a little wary of spending 700 notes if the fix is less expensive and/or covered by my existing Homecare agreement. I'll not bat an eyelid if it's the 'cure' (as sold to me) but would really value some opinions as to whether the fix sounds appropriate. As it stands, we're in a worse position since his visits, with a noisier boiler and no means of isolating HW from CH - not too bad in winter but obviously not tenable in the long run.

Many TIA. :)

Sponsored Links
An independent power flush is about £350 !

Whilst it would benefit from that it seems from what you say as if there is another fault apart from the sludge.

A chemical clean will be cheaper.

Dont expect too much from BG.

Tony

Get BG back, it sounds like wiring problem.

With hot water only selected and calling for heat, can you feel the pump running? IMHO it sounds that only a call from CH is sending a pump live.

With HW only selected, everything works as it should...for about 20 secs. I have noticed that the boiler has, on 2 occasions, stayed on for a couple of minutes - again, everything working as it should (including pump) but then switches off.

Am I right - with my extremely limited understanding of this - that the engineer's explanation sounds wrong, given that HW is available via the boiler, albeit only in the above circumstances?

Sponsored Links
Update:

Drained the tank of HW earlier today and put the boiler on HW only. To my surprise, the boiler stay on for a full 20 minutes but then cut off again. Checking the water, it was now lukewarm, so some heating of the water had definitely happened. I turned up the thermostat (from about halfway) on the front of the boiler and then it all started up again but cut out a couple of minutes later. I then turned the thermostat all the way up ( to '11' ;) ) and it kicked in again. Turning the thermostat down resulted in the boiler switching off, every time I tried it. The boiler stay lit for a good few minutes and then switched off.

Going back to the taps, the water coming out was definitely warmer, almost hot but certainly nowhere near normal.

So, it appears that HW does work, in a fashion, but the thermostat control is awry.

Any ideas/input gratefully received. :)

Boiler stat controls temp of the boiler, turning it up will make the boiler fire, until the water in/around the boiler reaches temp, then it'll cut out again. It does sound like the water isnt getting away from the boiler to the HW tank. Does the flow (top) pipe into the (side of) cylinder get hot when HW only is selected?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back