spiral staircase

U

ursamajor

I want to get rid of the current staircase and replace it with a spiral one so it will create a bigger hallway downstairs and the stairwell can be filled in and turned into useful space upstairs. How difficult is it to do this?

Sponsored Links
moving large furniture will now become impossible or very expensive

Sponsored Links
Just bear in mind, spiral staircases are not as small as people think. Youd' be looking at forming a 1500mm x 1500mm opening, which is more than a traditional staircase.

Why not look at changing the direction/orientation of the existing?

I want to get rid of the current staircase and replace it with a spiral one so it will create a bigger hallway downstairs and the stairwell can be filled in and turned into useful space upstairs. How difficult is it to do this?
Fairly easy, for made to measure they will need the floor height to the top floor height for the correct risers, start with a pole, slide the treads in and it's all nuts/bolts from there, mine is 1.000m dia, got a bed, big TV and furniture up there! all flat packs ;)

Spiral staircase = logistics nightmare!

It would be if it were not for the fact that we have a roof terrace leading from a bedroom via french windows. Still a bit of a nuisance getting things up/down to this roof, but still managable and in some ways more so than our current staircasse

Give better answers, muppet :LOL: :LOL:
easy is relevent you need to ask the right question ;)
a spiral staircase is very very easy and also impossible to fit ??

you dont specify who or the circumstances ??
if your question was can my 3 year old daughter fit or a proffesional fit the answer is different ;)

Easy is relative. Pretty much anything is possible but there will be some rejigging of first floor joists and flooring and I don't think it will create that much extra space at the end although they do look nice.By the way are you thinking timber or metal for the stairs ?

Apart from geraint and wabbitpoo, thank you all for giving this some thought - I was really wondering about what it would involve in terms of structure, likely space saved, ballpark figure of the cost of labour and whether it would add value or devalue my house should I ever decide to sell.

Most of you have helped clarify some of this, and showed intelligence and imagination regarding what the query was about. Pity about the two trolls I mention above, but that's life.

I was really wondering about what it would involve in terms of structure, likely space saved, ballpark figure of the cost of labour and whether it would add value or devalue my house should I ever decide to sell.
I have made & fitted many staircases and a few spiral staircases, what I find with spiral is they lets in more light and very useful in tight spaces, the photo spiral approx 22yrs old is in my lounge without losing any room and got away with it in the corner, a normal staircase would take up too much room approximately 7' x 7' and would be an eyesore where I wanted it. IMO I think the only time it would devalue the property if the spiral stairs is fitted in a country cottage etc. Of all the drawbacks lots of people still find them very popular and can add the character plus a good investment for the right property. At the end of the day it's individual preferences. I have taken out the middle balustrades on each theads as I'm making way for the stained glass in between somehow!
SDC15093.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back