John Lewis Washing Machine JLW1202 (PNC 914517112/00)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have the following problem:

No matter what programme we set it to, when we start the programme, the machine spends a couple of seconds draining (is this normal??) and then fills for around 15 seconds, then stops all activity, then fills for another 1 or 2 seconds and then drains completely without going through any of the wash / rinse / spin cycle.

We recently replaced the pump - could this have had any affect on the above??

Can anybody advise on the most likely problem so we can decide whether to have it fixed or not.

Thanks

Peter.

Sponsored Links
It is usual for the pump to run initially on start up.
A long fill then followed by shorter fills is also usual as the machine checks the water level.

Does it do the same on just the spin cycle (you said on all programmes)

What was the reason for changing the pump, does it flash any lights or numbers.

No it doesn't do the same on the spin cycle (it runs a normal one). The sequence described in the original post only takes place on cycles where filling of the machine is part of that cycle.

We changed the pump because firstly it got jammed (which we cleared) and then noticed that the clothes were still wringing wet at the end of 2 or 3 washes after that.

We then took the pump filter out which allowed a flood of water out of the machine and then ran the drain cycle without the filter in to see if the propeller was spinning. Sometimes it did and sometimes the pump made a different sound and it didn't.

Given the pump was only £22 we replaced it.

No flashing lights or anything else is apparent.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Peter

Being that I believe this to be a rebadged Electrolux (Zanussi) I would start by checking the motor brushes as these failing can give poor spin dry results along with a few spurious faults that seem to have nothing to do with the motor.

Sponsored Links
checked the brushes and there doesn't seem to be any problem - not noisy or excessively sparking and there seems to be sufficient carbon left.

Running the cycles again, I noticed that the pressure switch clicks (once) as the machine is filling and then the machine drains a few seconds later, without going through the washing phase.

To see if it made any difference, I clamped the rubber tube (that runs from the switch to the drum) shut and ran one of the cycles again and this time the machine carried on filling until the drum was at least half full of water. I then released the tube and it blew the house electrics!! Is that supposed to happen?? I tried this again and ditto - the same thing happened.

Next I ran the cycle again with the tube disconnected and the machine carried on filling without draining at all. I had to stop it by pressing the start / pause button and then had to empty the drum by switching to the drain programme.

At no point however did the machine start the washing part of the cycle.

Does this indicate a faulty pressure switch or pcb????

Any ideas??

Thanks

Peter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back