ford focus central locking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently changed brake light and ever since seem to have developed a fault in central locking. Can't now unlock boot. Not uring fob am using key in front doors. Occasionally works but not often. Any suggetions on how to solve would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
i have a 2001 mk1 ford focus fixed this repair myself on a very cold saturday morning, here was the problem...

1) when cold/frosty or 1st thing in a morning/late at night, when i went to lock the car using the key fob (the usual one press to lock the doors, 2nd press to deadlock with flashing indicators) it sounded like it was trying to lock but unlocked straight away...

kind of sounded like "clunk...clunk" as if something was catching and preventing locking?

then when i tried to use the key in the drivers door lock, the same thing happened.

2) while in the cars sometimes when i went to lock all the doors from the inside drivers door, the same thing "cluck...clunk" etc

3) however all the doors would lock if the passenger door inside lock was used. and could lock all the doors using the key in the passenger door lock.

never really happened during the day or when it was warmer?

so i did a bit of internet reading and was pretty sure something was sticking in the door mechanism, probably the solenoid because i read if it feels resistence it unlocks??? which would explain why the doors would lock from the passenger side.

tried the recommended drowning the lock in WD40 - doesnt work.

a ford garage agreed with me but wanted £90+VAT to fit the part and £80+VAT for the part! stuff that!

Your brake light will just be coincidental, If you are trying to lock the drivers door with the key and the central locking is bouncing(ie locking and instantly unlocking) it will be a fault in the N/S/F door mech. try locking the N/S/F door with the key if you can(some don't have a lock barrel on that door) if it works off that side it's almost certianaly that door mech at fault.

thanks for the advice. seems to be worse in the cold. have tried passenger door with the same outcome. had real bad problems with locks freezing up in the severe cold spell weve had (couldnt even get key in lock) only remedy was to put de-icer on key. gave lock a good spray with wd40 into inside of lock last night and seemed to work instantly. will see what its like this morning when its colder. lets hope to such an easy solution to a stupid careless fault

Sponsored Links
unfortunatly wd40 only works for a couple of hours and then boot lid wont unlock again. locks are not bouncing ie locking and unlocking as all four doors are unlocking fine its just not unlocking boot. if i spray wd40 into drivers door boot will unlock immediatly but this only solves it fo a couple of hours. n/s/f door lock has same problem as drivers

Does you key look really worn, have you got a spare that doesn't get used much you could try. Ford had a reputation of having chocolate keys and barrels, I have had to change a fair few before although mainly on old stuff 10 years plus. I don't know if they still have the same problem.

yeah key does look slightly worn. unfortunatly have only the one. just been quoted £89.99 for a new one. looks like i may need to get one. trouble is expensive if i find out it doesnt help.

Back