adding a spur to ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i want to add another double socket in my kitchen to run my washer & dishwasher off. the socket i wan to take the spur off has 2 sets of wires 1 in 1 out. does that mean its the last socket on ring & safe to take spur from?

Sponsored Links
i want to add another double socket in my kitchen to run my washer & dishwasher off. the socket i wan to take the spur off has 2 sets of wires 1 in 1 out. does that mean its the last socket on ring & safe to take spur from?

All rings have 2 sets of cables, hence the name - 'ring'.

How do you know it's part of the ring and not a spur with another spur off it?

just re checked, its a spur, the socket it comes from also has a single off it as well. so wots the best way.

The best way is to rewire that section so that all of the sockets are on the ring. And install 2 new ones, one for each appliance - don't run 2 appliances like that from 1 socket.

A less good way would be to put an FCU between the original socket and the one you want to spur from. That would be safe but the total capacity for the existing + new socket would be limited to 13A, which might not be enough.

However you do it be aware that it will be notifiable.

Sponsored Links
just re checked, its a spur, the socket it comes from also has a single off it as well. so wots the best way.

You cannot have a spur of a spur on a ring final circuit.

Are you sure that the kitchen circuit is a ring final circuit and not a radial., because your descripiton described above doesn't make sense.

What size cable is in the sockets - what size MCB covers the circuit.

If you feel confident enought - with the main switch to the Consumer Unit off check how many line (red or brown) cables are coming out of the MCB for this circuit. While not always the case generally two conductors indicate a ring final circuit - one indicates a radial circuit.

If you are sure that you have a ring final circuit then you can have one double socket spur from one socket on the ring. Alternatively put a 13Amp Fused connection unit before or in place of the first spur and then you can run as many sockets as you like after that since the circuit is protected by the 13Amp fuse.

[quoteAlternatively put a 13Amp Fused connection unit before or in place of the first spur and then you can run as many sockets as you like after that since the circuit is protected by the 13Amp fuse.[/quote]

so if i replace the spur with 13amp fcu, can i then run 2 double sockets from that?

You need to rethink that decision.
The FCU will have a fuse of 13amp maximum.

How many amps do you think that a washing machine and dishwasher will take? A bit more than 13amps, I would suggest.
Also
are you aware that many double sockets will only handle a TOTAL of 13amps, not 13amps per plug?

So, to do the job properly:

You need to extend the ring to two new single sockets - one for each appliance.
AND (as the work is in a kitchen)
You need to notify the local authority before you start work
OR
get a registered electrician to do the work for you.

You need to rethink that decision.
The FCU will have a fuse of 13amp maximum.

How many amps do you think that a washing machine and dishwasher will take? A bit more than 13amps, I would suggest.
Also
are you aware that many double sockets will only handle a TOTAL of 13amps, not 13amps per plug?
Well spotted TTC that is a very good point I missed the intended purpose of these extra sockets.

So, to do the job properly:
You need to extend the ring to two new single sockets - one for each appliance.
AND (as the work is in a kitchen)
You need to notify the local authority before you start work
OR
get a registered electrician to do the work for you.

I agree except that I dont think we have established whether we are dealing with a RFC or a radial. I asked the OP to look at his CU to see what we were dealing with -not had a response to that one. His description suggests that he has at least a spur off a spur back to a socket with two cables in!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back