Mounting Pull up bar on wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a pull up bar onto the wall in my garage. The garage is integrated and has two concrete block walls and one brick outside wall.

I assume it would be better to install this on the brick wall, but is it safe to install on either?

Bearing in mind it has to hold about 17 stone (I'm 6'5'', not really fat!!). What sort of fixings would you recommend? Coach bolts?

Is it going to damage the wall at all?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It certainly won't damage the wall. You will need a bar that has good support though, as in it will need to have struts to spread the load. have a search for a gallows bracket to see what i mean.

As for fixing it resin anchored studs would probably be the strognest but maybe over kill. It depends on the design of the bar as to what fixing would be best.

Looks good, the resin studs might be worth the extra because wall plugs could possibly pull out.

I as a 6'5 16 stoner share your pain.

''No i don't want your crap door frame pull up bar, my knees nearly touch the ground when using it!''

Sponsored Links
17 stone...?

How much do you think your mass increases when you start moving on that bar....! :eek:

A lot more than 17 stone.

17 stone...?

How much do you think your mass increases when you start moving on that bar....! :eek:

A lot more than 17 stone.
Good point Nose...although if we're being pedantic your mass doesn't change at all...just the force applied :p

It depends on the rate at which you lift yourself up...1m/s^2 will add around 10% to the applied load...

The applied load at the fixings depends also on the dimensions of the pull-up bar...what size resin fixings are you planning to use?

There's a better one out there IMO. I'll take a picture of it later and try and recall where I bought it from. It was a big sports shop on the Merry Hill complex in The Midlands years ago.

Oh, and it takes my 14+ stone using four conventional, but large, wood screws. The forces are trying to 'shear' the screws rather than being pulled out from the wall, so you would need to be an elephant to break it.

It looks a lot more stable and robust than the one you're considering and it also quickly folds down if that's necessary...

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
STOP PRESS!

I just remembered what the place is called and they have a picture of it on their web site. It’s also come down in price; I remember paying £40 less a penny or two.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/bt-500-4191311/

It says no more than 100Kg, (Elf n safety no doubt), but I know I’ve used much more than that when I’ve strapped additional weights around my waist. Believe me, this thing is heavy and well constructed!

Maybe I should include a disclaimer or something in case you buy one and it breaks though. ;)

Good luck..

Tony

PS. I like your suggestion to make one Jack :)

STOP PRESS!

I just remembered what the place is called and they have a picture of it on their web site. It’s also come down in price; I remember paying £40 less a penny or two.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/bt-500-4191311/

It says no more than 100Kg, (Elf n safety no doubt), but I know I’ve used much more than that when I’ve strapped additional weights around my waist. Believe me, this thing is heavy and well constructed!

Maybe I should include a disclaimer or something in case you buy one and it breaks though. ;)

Good luck..

Tony

PS. I like your suggestion to make one Jack :)

That does look good, there isn't a store near me though and you can't order online. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back