electric cooker outlet for gas cooker ignition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have just had a new gas cooker installed but i have the wire for the ignition running along my work surface. my queston is would it be ok to change the electric cooker outlet behind the cooker into a single plug socket.
any help would be greatfull.

kindest regards
craig

Sponsored Links
Provided that the cooker outlet is able to be isolated (usually a 45A DP switch near the cooker), and your cooker has a flex, then you could swap the cooker outlet for

1) a single unswitched socket and plug your gas cooker into it via a plug with a 3A fuse.

or...

2) an unswitched FCU with flex outlet and a 3A fuse.

hi echoes yes the electric cooker has an isolaton switch on the wall so im ok to swop for a socket and thank you for you quick reply.

kindest regards
craig

I would check the brand of socket into which you would be able to properly terminate the cooker cable. The cheaper sockets/FCUs often aren't designed for larger (>4mm²) c.s.a. cable in mind.
But if your cable is 6mm² or less it should be relatively pain-free if your cooker outlet back box is deep enough.

Sponsored Links
A unswitched fused spur with a 3A fuse may be better as there may not be enough room for a socket and plug behind the cooker, it may push it off of the wall.

A unswitched fused spur with a 3A fuse may be better as there may not be enough room for a socket and plug behind the cooker, it may push it off of the wall.

Good point...

I wish I'd used an FCU + flex outlet for my dishwasher rather than the 20A switch + unswitched socket. That extra inch would make all the difference (as well we know!).

you can also use a 13A switched fused spur for isolation above worktop and a 20A flex outlet plate with strain relief behind the appliance, this way the fuse is accessible.

you can also use a 13A switched fused spur for isolation above worktop and a 20A flex outlet plate with strain relief behind the appliance, this way the fuse is accessible.

Thanks john - that's what I meant to say (not a combined FCU/flex outlet).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back