Linking bathroom extractor fan to main light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

When I moved in this year in my house I noticed in the bathroom there was an extraction fan. This did not turn on when I turned on the light (as I expected). I then looked up and could see a fan isolater switch. I then turned this on and the fan did not run.

I suspected the fan was faulty, fitted a new one and it thankfully worked!

I would now like the fan to turn on when I turn the bathroom light on as at the moment I have to turn on the fan by the isolater switch by standing on top of the bathroom bin and manually turning the bugger on.

Just to give you sparkies some more information. The switch for the bathroom light is outside the bathroom near the door, the isolater switch is near the ceiling (I believe to meet certain electric regs) and the fan is in the ceiling near-ish the isolater swtich.

Regards,

BW

Sponsored Links
Have you bought a fan with a timer or is it a standard fan?

Hi,

The fan I bought and fitted was a basic fan and not a timer fan.

In terms of the wiring I'm not 100& sure. Is there a way to check.

I left the fan on (with isolater switch on) and turned the bathroom light off but unfortunately the fan did not turn off. Does this help at all?

Regards,
BW

Sponsored Links
Look at the instructions that came with the fan - they will show you how to connect the fan up to the light switch.

If you do not feel confident doing this then I would suggest you get an electrician in - or buy a more appropriate means (Elf & Safety and all that)of ascending up to the isolator switch ;)

Any idea how much an electrician would charge to link the extractor fan to the main light or main switch so it turns on when light on and off when you turn it off?

hopefully £20?

I was going to attempt it but I'm not an electrician and whilst I can change plugs, fuses and simple wiring I think I better not attempt it.

Regards,

BW

Any idea how much an electrician would charge to link the extractor fan to the main light or main switch so it turns on when light on and off when you turn it off?

hopefully £20?

I was going to attempt it but I'm not an electrician and whilst I can change plugs, fuses and simple wiring I think I better not attempt it.

Regards,

BW

I charge around £160 to supply and fit wall and ceiling mounted extractor fans with all switches and cable where there was none before.
Get 2 or 3 quotes - don't think you are going to get close to £20 though.

Hi,

I maybe thought a little low- but with a little bit of wiring needed to connect either main switch, isolater and/or bulb socket- £50 should be more than adequate.

It should only take a decent electrician about 45 minutes if that surely??

Regards,

BW

Hi,

I maybe thought a little low- but with a little bit of wiring needed to connect either main switch, isolater and/or bulb socket- £50 should be more than adequate.

It should only take a decent electrician about 45 minutes if that surely??

Regards,

BW
It will depend on how the current extractor fan is set up and whether it is legal. Check your instructions but normally there is a requirement in there to say that the circuit must be protected by a double pole FCU with 3Amp fuse.

If everything is in place and legal and the fan draws its power from the same ceiling rose as the light switch then its just a question of making sure the fan's neutral goes to the neutral loop on the ceiling rose and the fan's live goes to the lights switch live on the ceiling rose.
Most extractor fans are double insulated so there is not earth connection to be made.
So it does depend on the amount of work involved - get several quotes though.

Yep I understand about quotes and cost- I will get 3 quotes.

As mentioned, the fan is double insulated so a slight bonus.

Will update on eventual price..

Regards,

BW

you wouldnt get a decent blowy for 20 quid these days* let alone a sparks through your door.

*so Bas once told me

How many conductors are in the fan, perhaps you have a three core and earth in there and have connected the permanant wire up instead of the switched one, or perhaps some bad egg had used the earth as the switched live, have a check inside the isolator switch.

Hi,

When I removed the old knackered fan I just made a not of where they went and then placed them in the same place (wire wise) in the new fan.

I'm going to take picture of isolater soon so you can see all the wires because I'm no electrician so you can determine from the pictures..

It's not the end of the world- if the isolater switch was lower it could just be a simple on/off switch- it's just the fact I have to step on a bin and do it..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back