Combined 1 gang socket + TV aerial socket?

Sponsored Links
I think that the Scolmore grid range will let you do that, if you don't mind the socket being unswitched. Whether you can get a suitably segregated back box though, I don't know.

Thanks for the quick reply. I couldnt see anything specific on their site, but I do think the person I'm looking for this product for is keen for it to be switched!

I guess there is nothing out there in that case.

Sponsored Links
If you look behind a 1 gang socket outlet, you won't see enough spare space to fit a coax outlet even if someone did have the rather odd idea to put one there. Plus there'd probably be some health and safety hysteria about letting people touch their own sockets to get at the coax if one were made. I wouldn't be hopeful on that one.

If you look behind a 1 gang socket outlet, you won't see enough spare space to fit a coax outlet even if someone did have the rather odd idea to put one there.
Who said anything about putting a coax outlet behind a 1-gang socket? What good would it do there?

Plus there'd probably be some health and safety hysteria about letting people touch their own sockets to get at the coax if one were made.
What on earth are you on about?

Just after midnight on a Friday night - maybe you should stop posting and lie down for a bit?

If you look behind a 1 gang socket outlet, you won't see enough spare space to fit a coax outlet even if someone did have the rather odd idea to put one there.
Who said anything about putting a coax outlet behind a 1-gang socket? What good would it do there?

Plus there'd probably be some health and safety hysteria about letting people touch their own sockets to get at the coax if one were made.
What on earth are you on about?

Just after midnight on a Friday night - maybe you should stop posting and lie down for a bit?

The question is about combining the two, which I read as on a one gang outlet. If he meant on a two gang box, the answer is not much changed - it does not seem to be made and any attempt to make a combination of coax which anyone can muck about with and 230v which is subject to ever more stringent controls is unlikely to go down well with the clipboards. Have I hurt your delicate wittle feelings? Get over it.

Both combined into a 1gang box is not going to happen as there is not enough physical separation betwenn the low voltage (230V) and the TV.

OP it was a very good question, but sadly the usual bunfight has started!!
in answer i would think no as the limitations on space of a single back box would make it very difficult to get both in, we normally put in a dual box (2 single in one back box) for TV supplies and then put TV/phone on 1 side and a single switched socket on the other. leaving the centre divider in to keep the circuits seperate.

The question is about combining the two, which I read as on a one gang outlet.
"Bizarre" would be a polite way to describe that reading.

If he meant on a two gang box, the answer is not much changed - it does not seem to be made and any attempt to make a combination of coax which anyone can muck about with and 230v which is subject to ever more stringent controls is unlikely to go down well with the clipboards.
So what about grid systems where you can put together just such a combination, as TTC and I have pointed out?

Have I hurt your delicate wittle feelings?
Why should my feelings be hurt by your bizarre pronouncements?

Thanks to all replies and for the smile a few of them have raised.

This is going to be on a plasterboard wall - what type of backbox would I need for that? I've only ever worked on solid brick/block walls!!!!!

Excellent, thats exactly it. I'm going to have this vertical as the wall is particularly narrow. Looking at where the screw holes are on that, if I were to buy a standard 1g switched socket and a TV aerial socket they would both be on their 'sides'. Can you buy sockets where the screw holes are at the top and bottom to avoid this?

Ie, this is a standard 1g switched socket - note screw hole positions:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/48632.../White-Moulded/Marbo-Range/Marbo-1G-SP-Sw-Skt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back