Replacing a light fitting in an ensuite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to replace by pendant ceiling light in an ensuite with a ceiling mounted down lighter. Question is does this come under Part P of the building regulations?

I know that Part P requires any work undertaken in a bathroom to have building control notified or signed of by a competent person, but does the fact that all the electrics for the down light will be in the loft space and not bathroom make it exempt from Part P?

Here's my thoughts:

1) I'm simply proposing to replace an existing light fitting with another which I'd be allowed to do according to wiring regulations if this was in another room accept the bathroom / ensuite.

2) The light may be in the ensuite but the wiring won't be so does this make it exempt from Part P

3) I believe the ceiling in a bathroom space is considered outside of the controlled zones (?) However I still intend to use a IP65 rated down light with a 12v transformer and I believe this exceeds the regulation requirement.

I realise this might be splitting hairs but as they say the devil is in the detail. If ultimately this falls under Part P then so be it, I'll get a qualified electrician to do the work. Although can anyone provide a rough guide as to how much this work would cost.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
You can change a light fitting even in a bathroom or kitchen without troubling Big Brother, here's a table of what you can and can't (if a stickler for the rules, however onerous) do:
http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/partp.htm

Please be aware though that before starting any non notifiable work you need to bend yourself double, pledge allegiance to your local council clipboard holders and the LibCon coalition, kiss your own arse, then hop on one leg through a hoop which is not more than 12 inches in radius.

Part P (in fact all of the Building Regulations) applies to any work whatsoever on fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer’s side of the electricity supply meter etc etc...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for both your responses, you have botrh been very helpful. Although I must say trying to understand what can or cannot be done by the DIY'er in the regulations is a nightmare! :eek:

Thanks for both your responses, you have botrh been very helpful. Although I must say trying to understand what can or cannot be done by the DIY'er in the regulations is a nightmare! :eek:

If you are still unsure ring up your Local Authority Building Control officer - you do not have to identify yourself - and explain that you intend to replace an existing light unit in the bathroom with another no new wiring is involved. He/she will probably say what are you ringing me for - carry on.
Alternatively, search your LA website - most are sick of such phonecalls and have the information online.

This is form the North Herts website
http://www.north-herts.gov.uk/niceic_partp_factsheet_1_-2.pdf

Scroll down and you will see you are okay to replace a light fitting in the bathroom.

Just to clarify in case Mr Slapdash Inaccurate confused you, the fact that any particular work is not notifiable does not mean that requirement P1 doesn't apply to it.

With thanks to your advice earlier I've now replaced the old pendant light with a ceiling fitted down lighter and all works fine.

However I've hit a slight snag in that the down light doesn't provide enough light for the room (should have seen this coming).

To get around this I can add a couple of extra down lights by spurring off the original. However.......given I'm now not simply replacing like for like would I now need to get a qualified electrician in? The guides you all helpfully provided seem a bit ambiguous on this point.

Once again cheers!

With thanks to your advice earlier I've now replaced the old pendant light with a ceiling fitted down lighter and all works fine.

However I've hit a slight snag in that the down light doesn't provide enough light for the room (should have seen this coming).
No that is our fault for not telling (sorry advising) you not to go down the road of the upheaters.

To get around this I can add a couple of extra down lights by spurring off the original. However.......given I'm now not simply replacing like for like would I now need to get a qualified electrician in? The guides you all helpfully provided seem a bit ambiguous on this point.

Whatever you do - do not make further holes in your bathroom!!! you will upset Mr. BAS - who will quote more Building Regulations for you to comply with. Just means instead of one torch light you will have three using three times the electricity of one.

A good quality ip rated light to replace your current torch light will do a far better job - there are a number of websites this is but one.

http://www.ip44-lights.co.uk/

Whats more you won't need to tell BC.

here's a table of what you can and can't (if a stickler for the rules, however onerous) do:
http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/partp.htm[/QUOTE]
That table is incorrect.

Please be aware though that before starting any non notifiable work you need to bend yourself double, pledge allegiance to your local council clipboard holders and the LibCon coalition, kiss your own a**e, then hop on one leg through a hoop which is not more than 12 inches in radius.
Please grow up.

BAS,

I'm surprised you haven't spotted that this work is notifiable as it involves a special installation, namely extra low voltage lighting. (Unless it is a pre assembled, CE marked set, with plug and socket connections.)

Yo - missed that.

Also...
I believe the ceiling in a bathroom space is considered outside of the controlled zones (?)
On that basis almost nothing would count as being in the bathroom, which is clearly nonsense, so your belief must be wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back