Security light - bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have 2 300w security light outside the house, 1 stopped working several months ago and trying new bulbs didn't sort it?
Last week the other light stopped working so today i tried 2 new bulbs and nothing?
I then looked at the bulbs (new ones) and saw they were 500w? should the light still have worked or not?
I'll get some 300w bulbs next week if it sounds as though it's just them that need replacing

Sponsored Links
Did you check they were fitted right, sometimes the tubes look and feel like they are in but are not.
If that fails you need to be checking any fuses that could be protecting the light's circuit. They may not be on the same protective device.
Loose connection could also be a factor, but isolate circuit before you do this type of investigation.
If they are all sound, you will need at least a multi-meter to start doing some testing.

Did you check they were fitted right, sometimes the tubes look and feel like they are in but are not.
If that fails you need to be checking any fuses that could be protecting the light's circuit. They may not be on the same protective device.
Loose connection could also be a factor, but isolate circuit before you do this type of investigation.
If they are all sound, you will need at least a multi-meter to start doing some testing.

I tried the bulbs in several positions and nothing
The trip switch hasn't been tripped in the fuse box but i haven't checked to see if there's a fuse in the manual switch
Would the light work with a higher wattage bulb (just to try again?)

It should do providing you don't overload the circuit and take the fuse out.
Check that the lights are not connected to another protective device, such as a fused connection unit or a switch fused connection unit.
The pin contacts inside the fitting will spring back under pressure, make sure the tubes fit on to these pins and you have got good contact.

Sponsored Links
Another wee tip I learned was go outside when it's quiet and slowly and quietly walk towards the light, do you hear it 'click' on even though no light?

This would indicate there is power to the unit and the PIR is working

Are you sure you've put the lamps in properly?

I've been called to loads of houses over the years who have failed outside floods, and relamping them hasn't cured it. I click the lamp properly in place and it starts working again :LOL:

If it's not that, then it might be one or both of the lampholder pins has burned away, or the electronics in the PIR have failed.

Either way, aslong as theres still a good 230V supply to the light, throw it in the bin and put a new one up.

If the lights are the typical DIY shed trash, it's time to replace them with something more appropriate, after considering why you actually have the lighting. (It certainly isn't to improve security).

You just said security lights - have they got motion sensors? If the lamps are good then it's the motion sensors that have died.

PJ

You just said security lights - have they got motion sensors? If the lamps are good then it's the motion sensors that have died.

PJ

Yes the lights have the motion sensors

Using the manual switches the light still don't work so i'm guessing it's the bulbs or light units?

i forgot to add - for the week or so before the 2nd light stopped working it would flicker a bit when it came on?

The motion sensor IS the switch. Your on/off switch lets power get to the motion sensor; when the sensor sees movement it lets the power through to the light. Sometimes the sensor fails shut and leaves the light on all the time, sometimes it fails open and power can't get through. Do you have a meter to test for power at the light?

PJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back