DA system Abacus 8R external bell box / siren problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

I bought a house with an DA systems Abacus 8R alarm already installed (no manual/instructions to be found anywhere). After playing around with the keypad I managed to programme and set the alarm (the internal siren beeps for 30 or so secs and the alarm then sets....all good).
However, if activated (by a sensor for example), only the internal alarm sounds the external bell box/siren remains silent.

I have absolutely no idea where to start in trying to resolve this problem.

Could it be a fuse in the internal control box?
Is it more likely to be with the actual external bell box?
Do I somehow have to programme the external box via the keypad?

Any help would be much apprciated.

Thanks yet again.

Sponsored Links
The internal sounder only operated because the Entry Timer was still running.

ie 30sec Entry time

01 to 15secs, first stage Entry time

16 to 30secs, second stage Entry time, notice the sound change?

31secs, full alarm including outside

Detectors not on the Entry / Exit route should activate immediately.

Get the idea?

Hi thanks for the reply.

I just tried setting the alarm and activating it. The internal siren started sounding, I the waited for more than a min, but the external bell never started souding.

Any other ideas?

Did the Internal sounder change twice, ie normal entry tone first, then a louder more insistent tone, then to a louder alarm tone?

If not, you're not waiting long enough.

The time would have been set for the previous owner who might have wanted 'for ever', it does happen some times.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

thanks for your continued help and advice.

I tried again but there's no obvious sound change and I waited for a good 5 mins - no luck. (I understand that I could have to wait a lot longer, dependent on how long this was set for, but I've got some new info).

I found 'bell test' on my keypad and tried it.

No obvious, loud external siren. However, there is a clicking sound coming from the box when I try the bell test, and the click keeps changing every few seconds. It's hard to explain, but it's a bit like a 'tick-tock, tick-tock' repetivtive clicking sound, like the box is trying to make a noise, or at least it seems to be all linked together as the 'bell-test' does communicate with the bell box, but there simply is no sound!

(Oh, it's really hard to tell, but I don't think there are any lights either coming from the box, I'll have to check this later properly with a ladder).

However, any ideas on what the fault could be?

I haven't seen an Abacus for years.

Not played with an Abacus either for eons!
However Europlex is totally correct.
OP send him a Thanks point.
least you could do.

Hi Europlex,

sorry for the delay, been visiting family all day!

Just got your message. I was just wondering what you meant by 'o/s sounder'? (is it literally 'outside sounder'? or does the 'o/s' stand for something much more technical that I'm unaware of! Please excuse my ignorance).

Also, are 'sounders' standard or do I have to get a specific size/model for my alarm?

Finally, is it easy to fit? (i.e. literally opening up the box, being aware of the tamper switch and then undoing a few wires and replacing one sounder with the other, or is it much more difficult/tricky)?

(By the way, just over a year ago the keypad was showing 'batt' (or some other similar warning message so I replaced the control battery and everyhing was fine, so I don't think I need to replace that, but I don't suppose it would do any harm).

Thanks yet again (I'll post a thanks at the end).

'o/s sounder'? is literally 'outside sounder' or
SA - Self actuating sounder or
SA - Self activating sounder or the new stupid name
EWD - External warning device. Jobsworths came up with that one!

Battery should be ok, normally replaced at a MAX of 5yrs, sooner if found to be wanting.

New sounder. almost any if not all will work, care would be needed in removing the old, all cable connections.

Making a list of all the cable colours and the terminals they go to on the old sounder will help greatly in converting them to the new one, bet your bottom dollar they will not be marked/used the same.

Not an insurmountable problem to replace given a little care and attention.

Don't forget that the 'bell' cable (another generic term) will have a 12v DC supply running from the control panel to the bell, so don't cut or short it.

Disconnection at the panel first would be a good idea.

If you now have the manual there will be a drawing as to the connections inside, they just need to be extended to your new EWD, sorry, don't know what to call it. :LOL:

Whoops, better say before I get pulled up - CAUTION, there is a 240v mains supply inside the panel.

Suggest the removal of the 3amp fuse from the spur feeding the panel, if found to be a larger fuse replace with 3amp.

Inside the panel there will be a 1amp fuse at the 240v connection block, again if found to be a larger one, replace.

Thank you so much for all your help and instructions.

I'll try to get to a locksmith type shop tomorrow and get a sounder.

After that, i'll switch off the 240V power to the alarm and disconnet the internal control panel battery. Get up the ladder, open the box, locate the sounder, make a note of all wires/terminals and then try to replace with the new one before putting everything back together.

Hope you agree with this and that it all makes sense!

thanks yet again.

also while your doing the bell box (siren) change, change the back up battery as well!

this would be a very good isea.

Oasis

hi, thanks for that, is the 'back up battery' the one in the control panel (or is there also one in the bell box itself?

Thanks

Hi sorry for going on about this, but I was just wondering if somebody could suggest a place where I could purchase a 'sounder' for my box (because so far I've only been able to find complete boxes, not just spare sounders. Or alternatively, would it be better for me to just simply buy a complete new box for ~£30?)

Thanks for any advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back