Neutral Earth fault on non energised circuit trips RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
WHen there is no fault all the current through any loads on any energised circuit protected by the RCD returns to the neutral bar and from there through the RCD to the neutral incomer.

When there is neutral to earth short anywhere on circuits connected to that neutral bar there is a second path for current to reach the incoming neutral and this second path by-passes the RCD.

In this diagram the CPC is connected to the neutral in the cut out as for a PME or similar supply method. Where the CPC is not connected to the neutral in the cut out the second route is then via the mass of the earth ( earth rod ) to the neutral which is earthed at the substation or transformer.

I was hoping to get this into the WIKI but it defeated me.

Sponsored Links
Could you e-mail me the original picture and I'll stick it all into the wiki.

Couple of points Bearnard.

In this scenario is this an example of what could happen or are you saying this is what happens - I refer specifically to the part which states "in the sensor the current on the live lead..."

Secondly, since both live and neutral are classed as live shouldn't the reference to live be replaced by line?

Sponsored Links
In this scenario is this an example of what could happen or are you saying this is what happens -

It is what happens.

Secondly, since both live and neutral are classed as live shouldn't the reference to live be replaced by line?

I used live and neutral as they are the terms most DIY people will be using for the wires. Phase might be the more "appropriate" term for the brown wires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back