Damn Worcester Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, admittedly it's been doing fine for quite a while but now I just to want to know why it's not working!

I have a 28CDi RSF. In December the DHW light started flashing so I called someone and they replaced the fan. Afterwards the DHW light started flashing after the central heating had been on, say for a couple of hours. This wasn't related to switching on the hot water tap or anything specific.

So someone came to have a look at that and now the CH light flashes every time I use the hot water and sometimes even when I don't. Plus the pressure rises without cutting off, to the point when I woke up in the morning and saw water all over my kitchen floor.

I know I am probably just going to have to get a new boiler but now I just want to know why it's doing these things. I figured it needed a new thermostat. Could it be the CH sensor or DH sensor? Plus the yellow wires connect to a switch/board and these are loose. I presume it could be these as well but if so why?

Any help would be appreciated as it's doing my head in!

Sponsored Links
Plus the pressure rises without cutting off, to the point when I woke up in the morning and saw water all over my kitchen floor.

Do you mean the pressure rises even when the boiler's not in use? If so I suspect either a dodgy filling loop or more likely a knackered heat exchanger

Either way the pressure relief valve shouldn't be discharging into your kitchen

Hi. Thanks for answering. No sorry it doesn't rise when not on. It rises to the extent that I have water everywhere. Does that mean it's coming out of the pressure relief valve?

Many thanks again

Sponsored Links
Hi im not a plumber i will say right at the start. But my pressure release valve had a leak at one time it was fine normally but if it was actually activated the water would leak all over the kitchen side as well as going out the pipe outside. I would think if you looked at the valve on your boiler you would see some signs of water having leaked from it.

Also if it helps the pressure problems with mine where firstly the filling loop was letting water by so gradually pushing the pressure up so i just disconnected it and blanked it off. Also the expansion vessel needed re pressurising. I have been told thats normally the problem if your pressure rises a lot when central heating is switched on. Again tho im no plumber. Just really clever :)

Also if it helps the pressure problems with mine where firstly the filling loop was letting water by so gradually pushing the pressure up so i just disconnected it and blanked it off. Also the expansion vessel needed re pressurising. I have been told thats normally the problem if your pressure rises a lot when central heating is switched on. Again tho im no plumber. Just really clever :)
You are as clever as a RGI ;) because they know that the filling loop should be left disconnected as you did to yours :idea: Have a Putty Medal and join the Combustion Chamber ;)

:D oh thanks. Think i will cancel that installer next week and fit my new boiler myself now.

Mina, the expansion vessel needs checking, see FAQ.

Someone needs to check the sensors if lights are flashing on DHW when its only providing heating.

When a boiler gets to be about 10 years old there are often several minor and intermittent faults and if you dont get someone competent and interested they only do the minimum to make it work again!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back