Help- dimmer switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the process of replacing a 2 gang switch with a 2 gang dimmer except somehow wrongly labelled wires up when disconnecting old switch and can not get dimmer to work.

The 2 switches operate two different lights however there is only one mains cable into the switch containing 4 wires; red, black, yellow and earth wires. Dimmer has C,L1 and L2 terminals on both switches.

Which wire do I need to connect to which terminal on the switch?

Sponsored Links
it depends on how who ever installed it wired it.

Try this.

Yellow in L1 Switch 1
black in L1 switch 2
Red in common on switch 1 link from this to common on switch 2

Glad to help, and i wasnt't even there.

Folks i am always glad to help where i can, but if all of us "regulars" replied to the thanks we would have a forum full of thank you, OK, dont mention it etc.

But I for one do apreciate you saying thankyou when i help. I am sure the other regulars do too.

Sponsored Links
i am installing some 12 v track lighting in my conservatory and require some assistance, i am getting my power from a fused down 13 amp curcuit i then have a dimmer switch with connections L1 L2 and com there is then a chocolate block on the transformer for my track lighting
do i have to take the power to the light (transformer) first, or can i take the live from my 3 amp fused box in to the com on the dimmer then from L1 to the transformer? and put the neutral straight through to the transformer (ensuring all earths are in place). would this work for me is it the done way

Can I wire two wall lights into a light switch that has a red and black lead via a two way two gang dimmer switch so that the wall lights only will dim?

shaunmills said:
i am installing some 12 v track lighting in my conservatory and require some assistance, i am getting my power from a fused down 13 amp curcuit i then have a dimmer switch with connections L1 L2 and com there is then a chocolate block on the transformer for my track lighting
do i have to take the power to the light (transformer) first, or can i take the live from my 3 amp fused box in to the com on the dimmer then from L1 to the transformer? and put the neutral straight through to the transformer (ensuring all earths are in place). would this work for me is it the done way

first make sure the transformer is a dimmable transformer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back