Post Rewire Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! I'm after some advice, I'm sure someone here will have the answer.

Back in February 2010 we had our house rewired. On completition we were provided with the test certificate and were told that the job would be registered with NICEIC/building control and that we would subsequently receive a certificate from building control.

Unfortunately despite pestering the electrical contractor we've still not received a certificate from building control. The contractor has told me that the test certificate we have would be sufficient for any inspection/survey on the house.

My questions therefore:
What are the consequences, for me as a homeowner, not receiving a certificate from building control?

If the electrical contractor continues to drag his heels should I be approaching NICEIC?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you

P.S. I appreciate that this should have been sorted a lot earlier but unfortunately life and work tends to get in the way :unsure:

Sponsored Links
The certificate you should have been given is called an EIC (electrical installation certificate) and thats all you need.

Building control would only certify if the work had been done by someone other than a registered electrical contractor.

However, if the electrician was part of NICEICs scheme, the work should have been notified to NICEIC who would in turn inform building control and send a copy to the person ordering the work. If you haven't received anything from NICEIC, that implies he hasn't notified it to them, and so building control will have no record of it.

Whichever way you go about it, a rewire should be notified to building control.

I would get in touch with NICEIC. I wouldn't be surprised if the electrician in question isn't a member, but they should take an interest in your situation either way.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the replies. I will contact the NICEIC.

They were registered with NICEIC as that is where we got their details from. However I have previously noticed that the contact details on the NICEIC website do not match that of their own website. Are NICEIC registered companies supposed to keep those details upto date or is that likely to be an oversight in updating the website by NICEIC.

Thankfully they don't appear on the Wall of Shame.

So why aren't NICEIC prosecuting these people? For the very least copyright infringement of logo, or reporting to trading standards as passing off?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back