Power to Garden Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am thinking of having a conservatory put up some time this year, I will get a company to do this foe me, I will get them to do the electrics in the conservatory.
I would like to have power in my shed, say 1 double socket and a light,I live in a newly built house (completed 2009), waht are the options;-

1. Can they Put a Fused spur on the ring and run Armoured Cable out there
2. Can they extend the ring out there (if so how deep does it need to be and how do they need to use special conduit
3. Do they have to run the armoured cable from the Fuse box (that is at the front of the house, so option would be to run the cable around the outside, or up to the loft and then back down again I guess?)

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve

Sponsored Links
Time and time again we see these questions. If you are doing the job yourself then be honest with us. If you genuinely are going to use an Electrician to do the job then these will have to be discussed with him as he will have to certify the design (as well as installation and testing)

3. Do they have to run the armoured cable from the Fuse box (that is at the front of the house, so option would be to run the cable around the outside, or up to the loft and then back down again I guess?)

Steve

They could run this around the side of the house, fixed to the walls of your house.
Then if the shed is at the bottom of the garden, the cable will need to be buried underground, unless you have a permanent structure (wall) or you could have the cable run overhead using post and Catenary wire.
But is best to discuss this with your electrician as there are guidelines and regulations that must be considered.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies.

Ricicle - I won't be doing it my self, my wife would never let me :D

comms - That looks interesting, but not something I would try.

PrenticeBoyofDerry I guess that is an option, but if we could go out from the conservatory, it would be better looking than have a cable going around the house

I guess I was interested in what is allowed, just so that they don't do it wrongly[/b]

There will be options, but it will depend on load at the shed end, distance of shed from the CU and the manor in which it can be installed.
If you are having a new conservatory built, it could be an idea to have a secondary CU installed in there and have your circuits designed for both conservatory and shed from that supply.
Rather than taking a spur from a socket out.

But you can also run the cable through the loft as you have mentioned in a previos post.
Just make sure you employ an electrician with a proven track record, ask for references of previous work and contacts of recent customers/clients.
Remember this will be notifiable work and must be notified by either you or the electrican or company that is doing the work prior to any work starting.

Thanks for that,will talk to them about it and see what they say.

Steve

Thanks for that,will talk to them about it and see what they say.
Do that and if you have any doubts or are unhappy about the methods they are using, you can always come back here and ask the questions.
I'm sure there will be some wise sage only too willing to help.

I would like to have power in my shed, say 1 double socket and a light,I live in a newly built house (completed 2009), waht are the options;-

1. Can they Put a Fused spur on the ring and run Armoured Cable out there
2. Can they extend the ring out there (if so how deep does it need to be and how do they need to use special conduit

1. Possibly, although a dedicated new circuit back to the consumer unit would be preferable.

2. Bad idea.

3. A new circuit has to be run from the consumer unit, but it doesn't have to run in armoured for the whole length, just the outside bit, as long as it's protected by an RCD at the supply end.

Thanks agian Guys, will probably be a while off before I can tell you how they are going to do it, we have a Conservatory salesman comming around this weekend, but he is unlikely to know.

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back