Fitting a blind to plasterboard recess

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am trying to fit a blind into a window recess. The walls are plasterboard and everything else I have put up I have been able to use a similar fixing to this:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/81139/Fixings/Cavity-Fixings/Rawl-SD-Metal-32mmPk100

The problem I have is that there seems to a metal mesh everywhere I drill above the plasterboard and not enough depth to the plasterboard to use them. I have looked into alternative options but most require space above the plasterboard which I don't have. Is there any other alternatives other than glueing up some batons to fix to? I would rather not do that if there is something else to try first.

Thanks very much for any help.

Mark

Sponsored Links
You're probably hitting a metal catnic lintel. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to use a small hs metal drill bit,, 6 or 7mm or so, and drill into it, just enough to put a few raw plugs each end to screw the brackets onto.
I've never done that myself before,, so anyone else got an opinion for drilling a few"small holes" into each end of a catnic lintel, for fixing blind brackets onto?

You could cut down the nylon version of that fixing, allows a shorter screw to be used as well.But you run the risk of pulling it all down as blinds apply a fair bit of torque when used.

Thanks for the replies. I tried cutting down a version of the fixing but it didnt seem to hold that well. I think I will try to avoid that if possible. I would be interested in the thoughts of drilling into the lintel. Sounds like it might be the most secure option. Would it likely be just breeze block above the lintel?

Sponsored Links
Thanks roughcaster for finding that. Worked great. First 2 blinds up. Hopefully the others work as easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back