TV socket in flat (UK)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a new flat and have Freeview setup from the aerial socket, seems to work ok except for 2 MUXs, the analogue signal isn't great but you can watch all 5 channels. The socket has 4 connectors, 1 TV (aerial) 1 FM and 2 SAT.

The management company have informed me that there's only a dish on the roof and that if i have a problem i have to call out a Sky engineer, if the engineer says it's a communal problem then the management company will do something about it otherwise it's my problem! (Yes they really are that stupid).

What i would like to do is put in a new socket to see if that's the problem, i've noticed that the screw on the TV socket doesn't seem to be 'biting' on the cable and even with it screwed down i can pull the cable out.

^TV lead on the left.

So, after that rather long explanation, where do i go to get a replacement?

Sponsored Links
It sounds like (regardless of what the management company calims) you have an "integrated reception system". In such a system a multiswitch is used to provide combined TV, sattelite and FM on all cables. On your plate one of the cables goes to a triplexer and the other goes direct to the SAT2 socket. These plates are sometimes reffered to as quadplex (though that is a somewhat misleading term).

http://cpc.farnell.com/global-communications/wptv-fm-sat-sat2/triplex-wall-plate/dp/SE00626

Sponsored Links
When I was living in my flat, every now and again, the picture ghosted, turns out that the landlord was giving the upstairs tennant discount on his rent, as his power supply supplied an amp for the building, but when he ran out of 50p's for the meter, all 5 or so flat's TV signals went down...which often lasted for weeks!

Eventually, I opted for cable reception, so the engineers installed it, and as they were doing their final checks/installation, they checked with their centre, and were told red alert - DO NOT install at that location, due to prior bad credit checks! But they said, job done, outta here.

A few weeks after that, thought I might need to get a TV license..so rang them up, where did you see the advert to get a TV license, I was asked...er on my TV I heard myself say...OOPS! Day after the van turns up to prosecute me, but by that time I had x2 TV licenses!

Hope my rambling pre-empt helps, and you enjoy the latter story.

It looks less than ideal because the socket marked sat2/return appears to be an aerial style socket rather than a F connector.

I'd go for the triax 304110 or 304114 from http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page15.htm[/QUOTE]
The 304110 matches the current faceplate better. Didn't even notice that SAT2 wasn't an F connector on the first one.

Guess i'll order now and hopefully this will be end of the problem, can't imagine what hoops i'll have to jump through with the management company if it turns out the problem is not in the flat!

Thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back