New Door Lining / Casing / Frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

One of my door frames upstairs was knackered, so I have decided to replace it. After taking off the old frame, I can see it was previously nailed to wooden studs. I’ve made the new lining myself, and tomorrow am going to attempt to screw it to the existing studs. From past posts on the forum I have seen the best way to do this is by screwing two screws alongside each other at 4 points along the length of the frame - and two screws alongside each other, at 2 points on the width of the frame.

My question is, what size screws should I use? Also, should I make pilot holes first? And how do I go about this, i.e. how much smaller should the pilot holes be than the actual screw I am going to use? And should the pilot hole go through both the new frame and the stud? Or just the new frame? Sorry, I guess these are pretty obvious questions. I just want to make sure I get it right after going to the trouble of making my own frame. Any help, as always, would be extremely appreciated!

Thanks a lot,
Chris

Sponsored Links
your frame should be assembled with a diagonal brace and a baton each side at the bottom to keep the frame square and free from twists

Thanks for the tip.

Is the brace / baton absolutely necessary – providing I plum carefully? I ask because the studs that I will attach the new lining to are perfectly straight themselves…

Do you have any advice on the screwing / pilot holes?

Cheers,
Chris

it helps prevents the frame going in squint
you frame may be dead parrallel but the head or floor may be at an angle
the walls may be out causing the legs[sides one side to kicked forward

so you need to leave the bracing on to allow you to find out how much you need to pack the frame out

trust me iff your learning its the easiest way

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back