Digital projector - what to look for?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

complete novice here, looking for a basic projector to project photos/video onto a white wall. doesn't need to do sound . .

any tips / reccomendations?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
well, I want to put it into my coffee shop to project photos onto a wall (that is only 1.8 metres from where projector would be . .. .)

thanks

size of screen required?

lighting conditions? - i.e. near window & in full glare of sun (in which case forget it) or towards back of store away from windows

how long on per day? - special occasions only / an hour or so a day / all day every day?

Sponsored Links
Have a look at whiteboard projectors, they have lenses designed for mounting close to the screen and high up - will minimise people getting between the projector and screen.

You have to consider access for filter cleaning and bulb changing.

size of screen required?

lighting conditions? - i.e. near window & in full glare of sun (in which case forget it) or towards back of store away from windows

how long on per day? - special occasions only / an hour or so a day / all day every day?

near patio doors, but there will be a blind. on for special occasions - evening exhibitions.

ta

If you have anything less than £700-£800 budget then I'd say go with a flatscreen TV. A 42" or 50" LCD will be brighter, easier to install and offer lower running costs.

Most standard "basic" projectors in the sub £500 price bracket are designed for 4:3 projection i.e. not widescreen. They'll give a 4:3 picture of about 70cm-80cm wide (4:3 diagonal of 32"-36"). TBH, the flatscreen TV is a better option.

Short throw projectors start at roughtly £700-£800. Some will give an image as large as 2.4m wide (108" 16:9 diagonal) at a throw distance of 1.8m. The trade off is that you might not have a zoom lens - so the image size is controlled purely by the throw distance, there's no adjustment - and the second trade-off is image brightness. Making an image that large means spreading the light over a big area - hence the light per square inch of picture may well be lower than a cheaper and less bright projector making a smaller image. If you decide to go short throw then budget around £1000 to include bracket, cables, signal amp. Installation would be extra.

Lamps - No guarantee on lamp life - so take the manufacturer's estimate and halve it for budgeting purposes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back